New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wadcutter seating depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just started loading for the 38 SP, with 148g wadcutters. Seated them to the crimp groove, with about 1/8 - 3/16" exposed. Somewhere I saw a reference to seating flush with roll crimp over the end. Which is preferred, or does it make a measurable difference?

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The S&W model 52 semi auto requires that the wadcutter be seated flush with the case mouth. If you are shooting a revolver you can seat wherever you want. Most wadcutters I have seen do not have a crimping groove per se. I do not crimp my wadcutters.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i always seated them so just a line of lead was visable beyond the case mount. that way they fed fine thru the 52, and didn't get hung up of the case mouth

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc, can you share some reloading info for the model 52? I just bought one.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote