New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concerned
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok heres the deal, I am loading 168SMK's in my 308 and the other day at the range I went ahead and got drops from 100 to 300 yards, nothing interesting rifle hit where it has since I started this load over a year ago! so after getting all the info written down and happy with the new scope and mounts I go home. 2 weeks later I was curious as to how fast this round is going to help on plugging into my RCBS software and without a Chrony I plugged FPS in until I got my real world drop values and the program says that my 308 load is at 2980FPS? does not sound right so here is what the conditions were at the time,
Weather 57deg.
Not sure on the elevation! Oklahoma I used 2500Ft
Sierra 168gr Mathking
Reloader 15 powder 44.0gr
Primer GM210M Federal
Winchester brass trimmed to 2.010 full length sized
COL 2.810
Mauser M48A
Parker Hale 1-14 4 groove barrel 26"
100 yard 0.0 200 yard -3.0 300 yard -10.5/11.0
This round is the one that this rifle likes the best and until now I had no question as to the speed of this round I am more worried about accuracy but this has got me curious. Any help would be great. Thanks ahead.

HELP,

Kirk S.

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Calculating from target figured drop measurement is very risky and liable to errors. I coubt that you are at 2500 ft. Here (Park Hill) it is, by GPS 960 feet. Get a chronograph and measure it. Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I found a map I had and it has elevations on it, the groups were shot at my wifes grandparents in Woodward and it states 1900Ft. boy 2500 was a real bad guess! Geo do you do any fishing? say trout or stripers on the lower Illinois river or some big river fishing over at Webbers, paddlefish at Ft. Gibson? I must say that when the fish are running I spend a lot of time close to your area! good to see another from Oklahoma.

Kirk S.

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ksmirk,

I can't hardly wait for the Sandies to start at Horse Shoe and Low Water Dam. Hopefully the Sandies will be starting at Horse Shoe in a little over a month and at Low Water Dam on upper Gibson in April. Be sure to check the regulations on spoonies if you go, you're only allowed one and your hooks have to be barbless. I'll be at Low Water every day from around the frist of April to the end of the run.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't get that far North, mainly hang out below Eufaula and Webbers dams! my folks live in Eufaula so these pretty close me on the other hand am stuck in Oklahoma City, boy does the gas kill me in the spring time! Yeah those regs on Spoonbill are pretty firm! saw a guy last year pay $1030.00 for a spoonbill! we don't keep them much but boy are they fun, my little brother got one 2 years ago that went 79# that thing was fun to haul up the wall, pretty cool to catch fish that the average weight is 30-40# we don't use 3 legged grasshoppers, we throw jigs for stripers and well those big ol spoons sometimes get in the way. Myself I like the Flatheads, sandies are in a little below Webbers now slip cork with 2 jigs about 10' deep, slow but you can get a few. What setup do you use for spoons? I throw a 14' Lamiglas with a ABU Garcia 7500C3, my brother throws 15' Lamiglas graphite with a ABU Garcia 7000 Rocket. we'll have to meet up and catch some fish.

Later Kirk S.