New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clean .223 Powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen people refer to W748 and H335 as dirty powders on here, is this considered true?

Whats a good powder for .223 that will give me good velocities and burn cleaner?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
my two top choices are Accurate 2015 and Ramshot TAC. I have just started trying some loads with TAC and have heard a lot of good things about it. I believe its' burning rate is very similar to H-335 but leaves less residue in the barrel. Accurate 2015 always seemed to burn clean for me and was quite consistent, as well as providing plenty of velocity. Both 2015 and TAC will push a 50 gr bullet well over 3300 fps out of a 24" .223 Rem barrel, maybe even 3400 if you want to load maximum.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bore snake and a small bottle of gun oil... and having a dirty powder isn't really an issue, even in the field...

I have been playing with a lot of load development with heavier bullets in my Savage 12 BVSS lately....

AND it is amazing me how quickly 10 rounds of almost ANY other powder can heat up the barrel fairly quickly.. even on the heavy barrel...

The has been because of using Blue Dot so much in my 223s for Varmint shooting...

I can be out shooting varmints with Blue Dot for 200 to 250 shots and not clean it once and notice no decline in accuracy at all! And that is with a bore snake right in my equipment and ammo box... I don't take a few moments to run the bore snake thru the barrel because I am not seeing accuracy going anywhere... it stays right where it is supposed to...

So I guess that means it must be a clean burning powder...

If it isn't then it isn't a crucial problem!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone use imr 3031 in 223?

Its about the same speed as AA2015

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AA 2015, Benchmark, and H4895 have all been very good to me. W 748 was very dirty in my rifle, but I am going to try AA2230 and AA2520 and see if they work better. W 748 has some wild pressure swings too.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Yes

55 SP Sierra = imr3031 24.5 gr. is a great load in my cz527.

quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Anyone use imr 3031 in 223?

Its about the same speed as AA2015

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder clean ??. Since when ?. All powder is dirty !. Some more so than others is all . Feds make it that way !. Manufactures have to put ( Tracer materials in it ) for Identification purposes .

Some people will not ever understand the consept of proper powder for load or barrel length .

Ever see a Hall Sweeper with a Goose load filled with Blue Dot !?.Even if the shot pattern misses you have two options . Use as a quick lantern or burn your target if it's within 6 Ft.

25.5 grains of BL-C2 with a Remington Bulk YES bulk bullets ( I was developing the load ) 55 grain . One fowler shot .I then put 10 shots into .287 " using a Simmons Atec 2.8 - 10X at 100 Yd. .

The Winchester factory load strung up and out like a stringy jack Rabbit 2.25 ". Almost 2" left of point of Aim to boot .

You should see what Sierra's or Hornady's do in that Bushmaster 20" target model !.

I for one am real glad I purchased those Bushmasters Way back . Mine seem to be very accurate / with the proper loads . They don't shoot anything over 70 grains worth a shit though !. ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with the .223 is with a Remington 700 bolt action rifle -- not the autoloaders, so clean burning vs. not clean burning has not been an issue for me. I've gotten very good results in this .223 with Win 748 and Hodgdon Benchmark.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIf some one says one powder is dirtier than the other , listen closely because they are right, especialy when working with lower pressure loads. Much of the faster burning powders burn hot,clean and fast but the pressure drops quickly as th bullet moves down the barrel. Blue dot falls into that catagory. 2400 which is close to Blue Dot in burning rate is contradictory to this generality. It's dirty almost all the time.

BOOMYes some powders are dirtier than other powders. Believe it. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote