New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 6 1/2 primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lads I bought a bunch of primers cheap thinking they were sm rifle, then I find out it is not advisable to use them in 223 size cases. Is it alright if I use these for 221 Fireball and Hornet size cases?

Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The intended designation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Lads I bought a bunch of primers cheap thinking they were sm rifle, then I find out it is not advisable to use them in 223 size cases. Is it alright if I use these for 221 Fireball and Hornet size cases?

Thanks Greg

Don't happen to know the 221 Fireball specs on pressure, so I can't cmt on using the 6 1/2's for it. But, they are suitable for the Hornet.
Last summer, I did load some 6 1/2's up in a 223. The first shot pierced the primer, so I stopped there, and unloaded the others when I got home.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:

Thanks Greg

Don't happen to know the 221 Fireball specs on pressure, so I can't cmt on using the 6 1/2's for it. But, they are suitable for the Hornet.
Last summer, I did load some 6 1/2's up in a 223. The first shot pierced the primer, so I stopped there, and unloaded the others when I got home.

SAAMI pressures for both cartridges is 52K CUP, I`d forget the 221 FB and stay with the Hornet useing these primers.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Those Rem 6 1/2 primers are THE primer for my hornet. It's the only primer I'll use in it, and I get amazing accuracy from mine with Lil Gun and Hornady 40 gr vmax's.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Slim

that is how I'll use them

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 6 1/2 primers all the time in 223..

but the important thing is to remember they are intended for cartridges which are shot at lower pressures..

however shooting a 223, for example and you know your pressure is only in the 40,000 PSI range or so, no problems are presented.

just match your load to the pressures the primers were intended for.. not necessarily the case they say to use it in...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote