Find
Notify
Tools

8 X 57 die for 8 X 57 R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted
Is there any reason I can't use my regular ol' 8 X 57 s (.323) to load for my newly aquired drilling in 8 X 57 IRS (also a .323, not a tax man) if I use the shellholder from a 44/40 pistol. Aren't all shellholders the same 'height' and as long as the shell fits in there, shouldn't it work OK?

My vihtavouri manual says I should use Viht N-150, but I have been loading my regular, newly chambered and newly manufactured (rather than surplus I mean) Mauser 03 with N-160 and occasionally n-165. Maybe the faster speed means less pressure in the break open action? I'm just guessing.

Any thoughts about that?

Posts: 84 | Location: A transplanted Texan in Germany | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Nein, mein Herr! No reason at all NOT to use those dies. Use with No. 26 shellholder. I use a set of RCBS 8X60S dies to load ammo for my 8X60RS double, and it works perfectly! This gun was an 8X57JRS once upon a time.....

I make my cases from 7X65R brass. You should be able to either find Boxer-primed cases, or make them from 7X57R Norma brass. I have used new 7X57R Norma cases for both 8X57R and 9X57R ammo.....

(I see Huntington's has the RWS 8X57IRS brass......)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
El Deguello

Some guys will use any excuse to show off their rifles. Wink

And a GREAT looking one at that. I'm jealous.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
El Deguello

Some guys will use any excuse to show off their rifles. Wink

And a GREAT looking one at that. I'm jealous.

Ray

Gracias, Senor........ It DOES look pretty good for a rifle made before WWI.

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted Hide Post
Danke Schön,
I kind of figgered that, I just wanted to double check.
Before I got the rifle legally registered, I bought 200 pieces of new S&B brass from Frankonia for about 23 Euro ($38) per hundred.

Then when I picked up the rifle, the old guy gave me just about every piece of brass he ever fired in the thing, which was about 380 pieces of RWS and Norma.

I reckon I've got enough to last me and my son our entire lifetimes.

Posts: 84 | Location: A transplanted Texan in Germany | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murkan mike:
Danke Schön,
I kind of figgered that, I just wanted to double check.
Before I got the rifle legally registered, I bought 200 pieces of new S&B brass from Frankonia for about 23 Euro ($38) per hundred.

Then when I picked up the rifle, the old guy gave me just about every piece of brass he ever fired in the thing, which was about 380 pieces of RWS and Norma.

I reckon I've got enough to last me and my son our entire lifetimes.

Bitte! Freund Mike! Does Waffen Frankonia have a website? Blacksmith Corp over here used to sell their catalogs, but quit. I'd like to see what kind of Jaeger clothing & accoutrements they carry these days.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can use shell houlder no.4 or no. 26 from rcbs.

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
Does Waffen Frankonia have a website?

They do, although I find it of questionable quality - often sections of merchandise do not display. But maybe you have more luck than I do...

http://www.frankonia.de/shop/index.html

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted Hide Post
The Frankonia website really does not have everything they sell, but to be honest with you, the quality of Frankonia is going downhill at a rapid pace.

For example, they no longer carry Browning weapons, and mosy of the stores no longer sell more than utility hunting clothing.

Send me a message on PM and I'll mail you a catalog. In german of course.