Find
Notify
Tools

Case cleaning AFTER tumbling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
How are you guys cleaning your cases after you tumble/vibrate them? I'm using walnut media in my Lyman turbo and am finding that cleaning the dust out of the cases is a real tedious pain.

I'm tried rinsing them out and then allowing them to dry for a few days, plus blowing them out with compressed air, etc.

Am I just whining?

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, it's a pain alright. After the walnut, I tumble in corncob that has a double treatment of Midway's brass polish in it. It gets the walnut dust off real fast (30 minutes); and the little amount of corncob dust doesn't seem to affect my reloading at all. The brass comes out slick and slightly lubricated with the brass polish in the corncob.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO WHAT?????? They get a cursory wipe with a soft cloth coming out of the tumbler and that's it. How anal can you get. Geeez.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I swithched from walnut to corn because of the same problem.There is walnut oil in the media and this is what's causing the problem. I now use Hornady one shot tumbling media and get a fast cleaning and good shine with little or no residue.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dudes, I'll give the corn a try.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tumble, spray 'em with PAM, resize, wash the lube off with dish soap and hot water (give' em a long soak, it loosens the powder residue inside), rinse profusely, then dry them in a stainless skillet with a thin bottom over a low heat. Dries 'em in about ten minutes. Use just enough fire to boil the water away; no need to turn 'em blue...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok. So what would happen if I picked up say, one of my just fired cases, took it home, blew on it lubed and sized it, gave it a quick wipe over, checked case length, plonked a primer in, dumped some powder in, pushed a bullet in.

Now would it go bang and shoot straight, or would the world stop because it wasn't tumbled, primer hole deburred, washed either before or after dinner, trimmed to the nth degree, and kissed before chambering.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I reload .223 by the thousands to feed two AR15's.

Tumbling the cases again is easier and faster.

For my other low volume rounds I just wipe the cases down.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. You should have seen my first vib. effort. I looked in and realised most cases were buried. It was like a treasure hunt to find the buggers. There probably is some still in there somewhere.

So then I noticed this media stuck in the primer hole. I mean really stuck. Took me ages to get the dusty gritty stuff off and out of my cases.
Now the PFLS lube and hand wipeing keeps them reasonable looking.

So Zeke, just wondering about all the rounds fired. Is there an event that requires all that, or just blasted into a dirt bank. Doesn't an excess of shooting take the fun out of it?

I saw the machine gun magic tape by Dillon, they had fun, but they had something specific to shoot at. And it moved, and it blew up. Ya gotta love them quad mounts.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I tumble my cases in Walnut media... enpty each case out and that is it...knock each one on the load bench before I prime them, just to get out any left behind kernals of media...

if it is dust inside you are concerned about... then either use corn media or don't worry about it...

never effected the thousands of 223 rounds I load each year...or any other cartridge for that matter..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, JAL. The world would stop in its tracks. We would need Obama to come along and change it. He's our only hope...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe JAL doesn't kiss each bullet before he seats it in the case. Do they still shoot? :.)

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn right they shoot. Imagine kissing moly coated ones. I'll admit to counting on luck for some accurate shots sometimes, but it seldom works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, Ihave a question on the same lines. I found 130 rounds of usable .223 brass this last weekend. Some of it had been on the ground all winter. Corroded , but not bad. Took it home and deprimed and threw it in a solution for a few minutes, rinsed it and dried it on a towel. Threw it in the tumblerfor a while and wasn't really polishing. I put a couple of dashes of Comet cleanser in the media and about 2 hours later they were shinier than new. Should I rinse them and let them air dry or just load them. They really turned out nice.

Tony Smiler

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teat Hound, Who is EH?

quote:

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Gable:
OK guys, Ihave a question on the same lines. I found 130 rounds of usable .223 brass this last weekend. Some of it had been on the ground all winter. Corroded , but not bad. Took it home and deprimed and threw it in a solution for a few minutes, rinsed it and dried it on a towel. Threw it in the tumblerfor a while and wasn't really polishing. I put a couple of dashes of Comet cleanser in the media and about 2 hours later they were shinier than new. Should I rinse them and let them air dry or just load them. They really turned out nice.

Tony Smiler

Tony,
Comet has some chlorine based compounds in it and that will quickly weaken brass. Probably not a good idea.
Scott.

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Some of you are so anal you must not HAVE A LIFE at all it's a wonder guns and ammo even worked 25 years ago without the steps some of you go thru GIVE ME A BRAKE.

TUMBLE THE DAMN THINGS MAKE SURE THE PRIMER POCKETS ARE CLEAR LOAD AND SHOOT.

HOT DAM I GOT A HEADACH.

I herd all this crap about brasso so I soaked 20 cases in it let dry for 2 years in my loading room cleaned them loaded and there well past 10 firings now.

WHO STARTS THIS SHIT SOME GUY WITH A POCKET PROTECTOR

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
Teat Hound, Who is EH?

quote:

Hey Mike,

Ernest Hemingway

-eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt-ducks:

I herd all this crap about brasso so I soaked 20 cases in it let dry for 2 years in my loading room cleaned them loaded and there well past 10 firings now.

I've been secretly cleaning brass with brasso for donkey's years now, mostly necks. Never split necks and wonder why I bought a flame-thrower to anneal necks. Not going to use it or the vibrator again probably.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 09 April 2008 07:16 Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
Teat Hound, Who is EH?

quote:

Hey Mike,

Ernest Hemingway

Teat Hound, Thanks. I read everything he ever wrote when I was young but could not place this one. It's very good, though.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wipe them down and use a caqn of compressed air. works fine

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried a cup of lemon juice, bit of laundry detergent and enough hot water to cover them up? I did about 800 9mm cases that way the other day. They were pretty dirty and some were turning green. After swishing them around about 3-5 min they came out nice.
Still tumbling them but the bath sure worked well.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote