New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Exactly Reloading, But...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I purchased some factory ammo from Bass Pro Shop today. It is the Remington 45gr PSP for the .22 Hornet. When I got home I discovered that the soft lead tips were not all uniform. None were bent but several were more blunt than others. Will this cause an accuracy problem when I test them at the range? Should I do something to make them more uniform? Any advice will be appreciated.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The base is much more critical than the nose or tip, as far as accuracy is concerned.

If you look at almost any exposed lead tip bullet, you'll find that they are all banged up & distorted to some degree.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it, they'll shoot just fine as-is.

Have fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Cold Bore.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite welcome my friend.

BTW, I see you're relatively new here, so let me extend a welcome to the best shooting site going! I'm sure you'll like it here. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
What you're seeing is typical quality control. Remington and Winchester standard factory bullets wouldn't qualify as "seconds" if marketed to handloaders.

Come to think of it, they are marketed to handloaders! I quit trying to use these "bargain" bullets years ago.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek is right, the base is more important that the tip.

One time I had an error in loading some 7x57 rounds and the listed starting load was way more than the max in my rifle. I later noticed that the next edition of the manual had corrected loads for that powder and bullet. Anyway, I had to take a mallet to open the bolt. So, I pulled all the bullets and started over again.

All of the noses were smashed from the hammer style bullet puller. But, after I reloaded the ammo, the group sizes for the pulled bullets didn't vary much from what this rifle typically shot.

Side note: Stonecreek is right again. I purchased some 9mm Remington Golden Sabers bullets (not cartridges) which seemed like a really good price. Too good, actually. After I loaded them up, it turned out I had to toss one bullet out of every 10-15 since they were formed so badly, they wouldn't chamber. I suspect they were seconds and dumped onto the handloaders at a cheap price. Accuracy was not great, but that may not have been the bullet fault since I used my basic 9mm formula. I switched back to Rainiers and got some great accuracy out of that gun.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had poor accuracy results with Winchester bulk bullets in .30-06, .223 and .22-250. Never could get 'em to shoot really well. Don't have that problem with Hornady's "blems."

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RobertD and others too, Insert a piece of foam(the foam that is in a Nosler bullet box works fine) into the bottom of your impact bullet puller. It really helps as far as deformation of bullets go when using the impact puller. GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS's impact puller comes with a plug of foam in the end. It also has a handy collet to hold the case so you don't have to use different sized clips and such to hold different cases. Works well and I've nver deformed a bullet or a case with mine.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Just for the heck of it, Hornady's blems are actually rejects because they didn't meet shooting standards at start up. If the standard is .75" at 100 yards (and they're fired in a 200 yard underground range for verification) and they fired to a .77" group, all bullets produced to that time are isolated and called "blems"...or "rejects"...when there may be absolutely nothing wrong with them at all. I suspect other MFRs have the same policy. (Nosler also sells "rejects" or "seconds")

These company's so called "blems" are very fine bullets and many times better than some of the competition's standard products.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are likely other inspections they have to pass. I've noticed that commonly the soft points on these Hornady blems have almost imperceptible defects of lead fillout at the jacket-nose junction.

But they do shoot fine!