New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Nosler 140 Grain Accubond
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all. I'm new to this board & fairly new to rifle reloading so please excuse my ignorance. Here is my question, what is best over length/bullet seating using the following variables?
Rifle Remington 700 BDL out of the box.
Powder: RL 22
Charge: between 63.5 to 65.5 grains
Bullet: Nosler Accubond 140 Grain Spitzer

What should my overall length be set at for best accuracy & the least problems? I'm looking to be safe to start with more than anything. Thanks in advance!

Ironguts

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
7mm what? 7 Mag? Often the best accuracy will be with the bullet just off the lands. The question will then be if the mag is long enough or the throat short enough to allow you to seat the bullet there.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Measure your magazine box & load to just shy of that OAL first. If that gets you into the lands, then back off 0.01" & start your load dev. there. BTW, not all bullets/barrels like bullets into or just off the lands, but off the lands is a good place to start.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about not stating what 7MM caliber, it's a 7MM Rem Magnum. Also "ramrod" & "fredj" you mention keeping it just off the "lands". Can you expand more on what the "lands" is & how to measure it or find it?
Thanks again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could help yourself with the "find" option; you will "find" a lot of answers to your questions Wink

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
The first thing to do when handloading is buy a manual from one of the major bullet makers (Nosler in this case). Read it cover to cover. The Lands are the raised areas inside the barrel that imparts spin to the bullet. My 7mm RM loves that combo of RL 22 and 140gr Accubond w/ CCI250 primer.The factory Standard for OAL is 3.29 inches but best accuracy may be longer.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first thing to do when handloading is buy a manual from one of the major bullet makers (Nosler in this case). Read it cover to cover. The Lands are the raised areas inside the barrel that imparts spin to the bullet.

I agree with Rob1SG 150%. You can do specific searchs here under reloading and find some good info. Also do a web search and find it as well. Here is a site with some basic info as well.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2k_reloading.htm

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ironguts, the best way to measure distance to the lands is with a Stoney Point, RCBS or equivelant tool.
The cheapest way is to Color the bullet black with a Sharpie marker and then chamber the round. If it's seated out too far the rifling will leave marks in the black. Keep seating it back until you don't leave marks. You can know how far back you are moving by counting how much you turn the seating stem. For example an RCBS stem is 28tpi so a 180deg turn will seat the bullet .018 deeper. etc. etc...............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the help & answers from everybody. Awesome board with a ton of information & knowledge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Ironguts, the best way to measure distance to the lands is with a Stoney Point, RCBS or equivelant tool.
The cheapest way is to Color the bullet black with a Sharpie marker and then chamber the round. If it's seated out too far the rifling will leave marks in the black. Keep seating it back until you don't leave marks. You can know how far back you are moving by counting how much you turn the seating stem. For example an RCBS stem is 28tpi so a 180deg turn will seat the bullet .018 deeper. etc. etc...............................DJ

DJ, I just did this with my 257, used a stoney point and got OALs of 3.383, 3.385, 3.265, and 3.386. The only one that looks right is the 3.265. Why do you think I am getting such a large range? Do you think I am putting to much force when pushing the bullet through the case with the Stoney Point gauge? It is not freebored either.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 257 isn't freebored??? I'd double check with Steve before I was sure of that. I can't imagine a pipsqueak like you using too much force!............... Smiler Smiler........DJ

For those of you not in the know my buddy Tim (whiteeyetatoo) is a serious Power-Lifter and can bench press a small truck...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote