New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 168gr hpbt's any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know the Sierra hpbt is the prefered bullet, but I got a great deal on some Hornady 168gr, and 190gr hpbt's. I will try some 168's in my .308 this weekend, I was thinking 42gr's of IMR-4895, also have some RL-12, and AA-4064, only have a few Fed 210m's, but have 1000 Win lr primers.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
They work just fine, although I've found they shoot to a different point of aim than the Sierras. It's a difference of only a minute or so change in your sight dope. I could usually find them in bulk, cheaper than the "green box" bullets, so I used them almost exclusively for years.

They worked best for me with the standards - 4895, 4064 in LC cases with Win LR primers. No sense re-inventing the wheel.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, whats you're favorite load of 4895?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Well, the usual disclaimer applies certainly but this time it has also to do with the "pedigree" of the 4895 in question.

The new, fresh commercial stuff will burn a little faster (or generate more pressure) than a similar amount of the GI pulldown I used most often. I used 41 grains of either type to avoid having to twiddle with the measure and seated to 2.845 - 2.850". That's long but it'll still fit and function in my M14 mags.

As usual, start low and work up. Lots of 4895 vary.

Redial

PS I coulda just said 41 grains, huh? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my experience, you combine the Hornadys with a load of IMR-4064 and Lake City or WW brass and I believe you will be extremely happy.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like Varget too. About 45gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
optimum loads using .308 bullets consist of 165 grain bullets and a powder charge about 80% of case capacity.
I use 190 grain when they are on sale,but try to stick to 165 for the best ballistics.

Posts: 28 | Location: phoenix az | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote