Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New reloader question on loads
 Login/Join

posted
Being new to reloading I have a basic question on the amount of loads I see. Now, I have already done 223 55gr FMJ and 9mm 115gr FMJ rounds with no problems, but now I want to do some additional 9mm loads with a Hornady 124gr XTP bullet. I see loads in manuals and from others up to 6gr in weight. This is where I am having problems. If I load the case with powder with that load, 1. it is very close to the top of the case, and 2. I can not get the bullet down to the correct C.O.L. for the 9mm. What am I doing wrong? The powder I am using is Unique, which I have used with the 115gr FMJ and it works great.

Gary

Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin' - John Wayne, True Grit

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Sewell:
Being new to reloading I have a basic question on the amount of loads I see. Now, I have already done 223 55gr FMJ and 9mm 115gr FMJ rounds with no problems, but now I want to do some additional 9mm loads with a Hornady 124gr XTP bullet. I see loads in manuals and from others up to 6gr in weight. This is where I am having problems. If I load the case with powder with that load, 1. it is very close to the top of the case, and 2. I can not get the bullet down to the correct C.O.L. for the 9mm. What am I doing wrong? The powder I am using is Unique, which I have used with the 115gr FMJ and it works great.

Gary

Make sure you're using the right powder. Slight load compression does no harm as long as the cases don't bulge.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI Hornady 7th edition list 5.0 grains max. Unique for that bullet.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman 48th shows 4.5 of Unique as max and my Hornady book shows 5.1 as max. So......??

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I know you’re a newbe to reloading and that’s OK but some of the advice around here can be a little laid-back. Everyone so far has given you good guidance but don’t take fast burning pistol powders lightly. Until you know what you’re doing and know it will, you stick to the book! Wink Maximum loads are not always the best loads for any given gun.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal philosophy is no compressed loads. I see it thus: If you have to compress, you need to go to a different powder. Don't risk your gun, your hand, your eyes or your life for the price of a different bottle of powder. But that's just me...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote