Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM- easiest ever...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I've had a 300 WSM for about a year now, but only got dies recently, and only went to the range today to try out some loads...it couldn't have been any easier [Big Grin]

I decided that Nosler Partitions are the bullet to use, as I've had nothing but sucess with the Partition (pretty common, I think)

180 gr Partitions are about $45 (Canadian) around here, so I used 180 gr Interlocks (as I have in the past) to work up a load. 100 Hornadys are about $27, as compared to $45 for 50 partitions...

I used RL-25. I have never seen RL-25 suggested anywhere else, except for an article by Ross Seyfried.

But I had a pound of it, given to me last Christmas, by someone who confused it for RL-22 which I use all the time...I figured Ross knows more than I, so why not try it out? [Wink]

I started with 70 gr of RL-25, and worked up to 77gr. I never got any pressure signs, but 77gr wouldn't really fit in the case that well. [Wink]

Anyways, 70 gr wentway out to the right, (Out of a newly cleaned barrel).

71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 grains all went into a group about an inch, BARELY over...

77 went flying up and to the right.

So I tried 76 gr, and got a funny group. 1st shot in the middle.2nd shot 1" away. 3rd touching the first, 4th almost touching the 2nd..sort of a back and forth deal [Big Grin]

Working up the Nosler, I used 74, 75, and 76 gr.

The group was about 1/4" I was enthralled. you could cover it with a nickel, easily.

At this point, the wind picked up a little. I doubt that the small breeze would really affect a 180gr bullet at 100 yards, but who knows?

3-shot groups of:
76 gr RL25 180 partition was an 1.5"
75gr RL25 180 partition was 1"
75gr RL25 180 Hornady was .75"

Velocity for the Hornady (75gr RL-25) was avg 3000 fps

Velocity for the Hornady (76gr Rl-25) was avg 3022

Velocity for Partition (76 gr RL-25) was avg 2962

Velocity for the Partition (75 gr RL-25) was avg 2947.

For both bullets, the 75gr load was SLIGHTLY more accurate, and the velocity is good...a 180gr Partition at 2950 FPS is pretty much perfect for most hunting. [Big Grin]

I"m sure I could get faster, adding more powder, btut hen we would be dealing with an extremely compressed load..I prefer an accurate load with good velocity, and that can easily be metered throw the powder charger [Wink]

Anyways, this was abotut the easiest load work up I have ever had...Less than 30 rounds and I'm ready for hunting. This is with a stock MDL70 Stainless/Synthetic, that I have only done a bit of trigger lightening to .

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you plan on using it on those Muleys up near Duffy Lake?

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
What do I paln on shooting with 180gr partitions going 2950fps?

Anything I want. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, I've had a 300 WSM since they came out. I got an early one (SS M70) in 2001. I used it on a Muley buck with factory ammo. Being of an experimental nature I cut the barrel to 22"... worked well as its bore volume / case capacity ratio is about identical to a 280. Took a cow elk with it last year at a bit over 300 yards (180 Failsafe at 2,900 fps). Still, my heart wasn't in it with a short barrel and I sold it. A bit more than a month ago I picked up another SS M70 as I truly missed the cartridge. I've got a matte black 3x9 Leupold VXII (11.8 oz's) going on top in Talley aluminum (silver) mounts (2.2 oz's). It'll get a Bansner stock for an "all-up" weight of arond 8 lbs. Mine LOVES 180 Hornady's and 180 Partition's at 2,950 fps with H4831sc or H4350 and puts them in sub moa clusters.

This rifle, to me, is as good as it gets for an "all-around" Western U.S. / Canadian rig... I ssume you concur! [Big Grin]

BTW, what dies are you using?

I've been using Redding dies and am not pleased with them... I often end up with a "crinkled" shoulder no matter how clean I keep the dies from case lube. Unlike RCBS dies there's no "escape hole" for lube and air. I may switch to RCBS.

Brad

[ 06-25-2003, 09:54: Message edited by: Brad ]

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Brad, I'm using Redding dies.

Perhaps yours are flawed??? I'd try sending them back. Most of the reloading companies have good warranties. [Big Grin]

Here's the load workup. I started a t 70 gr RL-25, and finished at 77gr. The two 'flyers' to the right are 70gr bottom, 77gr top.

Other than that, 71,72,73, 74, 75, and 76gr went into about 1.25 inches....

-

Here is a work up from 74 to 76 grains

-

Here is the load i settled on, 75gr RL 25 with a 180gr Partition, at about 2950fps...The wind had picked up at this point, but I still think it is pretty good for a hunting rifle [Wink]

-

How did the Failsafe perform on the Muley? The factory Failsafes I have shot well after a couple of 'fouler' rounds- about 1.25 to 1.5 groups..but I have been hesitant to use them on deer as they are very stoutly constructed...

I've got a Matte 2.5-8X 36 VXIII Leupold mounted with Talley rings and bases.I have 3 of these scopes, and I think they are the perfect scope for most of the hunting I do. 8 power is perfect for the range, and the lighter powers are great for hunting. It is light, compact, and I like it..

The rifle is synthetic/stainless, and all I've done to it is lighten the trigger a bit...

I like the 24" barrel, as it is a good compromise. I have used mostly 22 or 24 inch barrels for my hunting, and I don't see the difference inportability with 2 inches different.

The Nosler manual used a 26" barrel, which I thought was strange for this cartridge..

i used Partition "protected point" bullets, because they were all that was available at the time. I will probably just buy them inthe future,a s they shoot well and perform the same.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
GH, those are excellent groups! My rifle does about the same with bullets it likes... so far its favorites are 180 Nosler Partition's and 180 Hornady's... both go under and inch at 2,950 fps (69.5 H4831sc). The last 3-shot grop with NP's was .650"

Are you using Magnum primers? In my first WSM I used them a couple of times but all they seemed to do with H4350 was boost pressures with no discernable gain in velocity... go figure. Subsequently I've only used "standard" primers.

The failsafe flattened the muley at about 175 yards. The cow elk took two shots... at a bit over three hundred yards the first went right through both lungs... she gave no indication of a hit even though I knew I'd hit her well... she walked ten feet and stopped... the second shot took her 6" from the first, again punching both lungs. She stood for perhaps another two seconds then just rolled down the hill completely dead... the wound channel's weren't all that impressive. The only reason I'd chose the Failsafe over the Partition is for rear shots in the timber on big bulls... other than that I think the Partition is the better all-around bullet, speed goats to elk.

BA

PS. I believe you're right... I'm going to give Redding a call.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I'm using Federal 210 Gold Medal Match primers....

So, yes, standard primers. I was going to use 215 MAG primers, just 'because' but then I noticed in Seyfried's article he specifically mentioned standard primers, and those were the ones I had on hand.

I'm not even going to bother mucking around with other bullets...I'll use the Hornadys for practice or deer, and the Partitions when I don't knwo what is on the menu.

I still have soem factory Failsafe ammo, if I decide to take a rear end shot on an elk.. [Wink]