New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning the media?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The media in my tunbler is looking pretty bad. I had heard that one could wash this stuff. Any idea how?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Some add shredded strips of paper towel or drier sheets to the bowl when tumbling to absorb the dust and grime. I never was much impressed with the result and just toss the old media when it gets bad.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
The media in my tunbler is looking pretty bad. I had heard that one could wash this stuff. Any idea how?
Thanks, Peter.

I clean mine in the fire pit in the back yard!! Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Darn...I thought this would be a thread on cleaning up or fixing the liberal, left-wing and unabashedly-biased media... Big Grin

But as to your question, when tumbling media gets to looking bad or is no longer effective, I simply toss it and replace it with new stuff.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Darn...I thought this would be a thread on cleaning up or fixing the liberal, left-wing and unabashedly-biased media... Big Grin

Not a chance...dang it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I have tried cleaning media with paint thinner and paper towels, with little success. I've decided that it is cheap enough just to trash it and start with some new.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get about ten pounds of crushed walnut hulls at PetSmart for ten or eleven bucks. Ask for reptile bedding; it's the exact same stuff as the expensive tumbler media you buy at sportin' goods stores. Brandname is Zilla...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Peter.

Pete, the real question is, how well is it working? I've never noticed any significant difference between "old" vs. "new" media.

I believe the worst my media ever looked was shortly after I got the tumbler and had added too much polish. That made a lot of "dust" and turned the media particles pretty gray.

The paper towel/dryer sheet trick isn't meant to clean the media, as such. It only traps the small particles of "dust" in its loose weave so we can toss it out. It works too.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:

But as to your question, when tumbling media gets to looking bad or is no longer effective, I simply toss it and replace it with new stuff.

best way to do that would be tsturms post!

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thanks for the advice. I think I will toss it!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Walnut media is bloody expensive & hard to find here in the UK, so I clean mine in a zip up cotton pillowcase in the washing machine followed by using the dryer.
Being single means I can get away with this. Big Grin

DON'T put it in with clothes though.... Eeker

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of barefootarkie
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by homebrewer:
You can get about ten pounds of crushed walnut hulls at PetSmart for ten or eleven bucks. Ask for reptile bedding; it's the exact same stuff as the expensive tumbler media you buy at sportin' goods stores. Brandname is Zilla...

I bought 25#'s of 12 grit walnut media at Harbor Freight. They had sent me an email coupon good for 15% off any single item. Total price was less than $22.00.

...read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and I learned much from both of their styles. (J.B.)

Posts: 51 | Location: Redfield,Ar | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote