Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is my scope off?
 Login/Join

posted
Just would like to see if anyone has suggustions regarding accuracy problems my father-in-law is having with his .270 Weatherby SBGM. We were at the range today shooting a load that typically shoots well in that rifle (about one MOA). Today shots were stringing horizontally. All shots were about 2.5 inches above the point-of-aim at 100 yards, but wandering back and forth in a fairly random fashion. Extreme spread was 6-7 inches. Could have drawn a straight horizontal line through the holes in the paper. Can't think of anything that would do this other the something wrong with the verticle retical < !--color--> in the scope. Scope is a new Leopold VI. Scope bases and rings are tight. Any other suggustions or ideas on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 9 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try to tighten up the stock screws, but its probaby the scope.

Kimmo

one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen to me. The problem was the windage adjustment screws on my Redfield rear base. If you have these type of bases it would be worth your while to check this out. It doesn't take much slack. Hope this helps.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Yes, only a couple of .001"'s of slop in a mount will cause this.....

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
First thing I'd think of is variable crosswind.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes about 80 miles of crosswind to move a 130 gr. bullet 6 inches.
I would check the scope

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote