New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightest 22 Hornet loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to load some super light 22 Hornet rounds to break in my new rifle's barrel. I am using H110 and a Speer 50 gr spitzer. I have a 22 lr back stop and want to safely shoot into it. How light should I go 3 grains of H110? More, Less? What do you think???? Jay

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try it with H110. I usually shoot a 22LR duplicate load in my hornet of 2.0gr. Red Dot, for 1100 fps with a RCBS 55gr cast bullet. I'm not at all sure you could get a jacketed bullet to work and not stick in the bore at those speeds, but I would recommend a lot faster powder than H110 if you're going to try it.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My PET LOAD [Smile]

I have used S265 (Sonchem powder ) in the hornet before with rather great results and it groups quite well at 50 Yards.This powder is intended for the cartridge and classes with your powders such as IMR 4227 etc for the hornet. The load is as follows
3.2 - 3.8 gr S265
CCI Small Pistol primer
OAL = 45.3 mm
45 gr - 50 gr Sierra spitzers.
Chrony = 960 fps - 1100 fps
I have not had anything stuck in the tube so far but please use a filler of some sort otherwise you may experience detonation. With the faster Pistol powders I use S221 wich has pretty much the same burning rate as AA5 & W571 . These loads should be used with care as the Hornet case is very sensitive to alterations in powder charge due to case capacity with the faster powders.
2 gr - 3.5 gr S221
With all the rest as above
Chrony = 980 fps - 1350 fps

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DON'T use H110 for light loads. Read your can, I'm sure there is a warning there to this effect. H110 is a great powder for Magnum handgun cartridges, and very small rifle cartridges, but when used in light loads frequently has mis-fires and pressure excursions that are just flat dangerous. 1-2 grains of Bullseye, Red dot, Titegroup or other very fast pistol powders are what to use for a light load to mimic a 22 LR.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The 2 grain load of Red Dort sounds good. I use 3.5 grains of Unique in mine with a cast Lyman .224415GC for a .22 LR equivalent load. It gives about 1300 FPS. [Big Grin]