New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Reloading Manuals?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As you may guess by all the threads I've posted, I'm getting back into reloading after a 4 year hiatus. I left all my equipment and manuals with my college roomate when I graduated. What are the best manuals these days?

I'll get the A-Square manual, because it has so many of the big bore cartridges. I'll probably also get the Nosler manual, since I shoot Partitions in all my rifles.

Any others? Any comments?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the absolute best is the sierra manual. It has data for more cartridges, and it has quite a few more powders for each cartridge than the other manuals. Plus, like the nosler manual, it lists the "accuracy" load for the rifle (action/barrel) they tested, and I have always found this a good starting point.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, Hodgdon etc� I use all of them and cross reference load data. Some loading Manuals are more conservative with max loads while other Manuals will list more powder for the same max load. You can also check powder and bullet Manufacture web sites for current updated bullet and powder data.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pretty good stack of them. I like the Lyman 48th the best, it has loads for a lot of different brands of powder and bullets, including cast. The Hornady two volume manual has lots of ballistic tables that are very usefull, but the charges they list for the velocitys in the reloading data sections are IMHO way off.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Speer (No. 13). I like how it has the loads listed by velocity--showhing you which powders(s) gave best velocity for that bullet.

I also like the descriptions on the history and application of each cartridge. One of the few manuals I will read for entertainment.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think you need to get as many as you can afford then cross reference. I find Sierra and Nosler pretty good, Sierra got alot of the AI loads. Nosler just plain good for everything else I started with them when they came out with #1. Got Speer and Horaday but use more as cross reference as with Lymann 48th manual. I found the older Lyman alittle better than this new one. I've got Hodgdon plus the latest from the other powder manufactors find those most helpful also and can look those up on the net saves alittle money might also look up from the bullet maufactors. I've even got the old Speers #4 wildcat manual from 1959. I think Ackley's manuals are another good source for information. Good Luck

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have collected about 50 manuals, and I like Sierra for rifles and the free info from powder manufacturers for pistols.

The worst is "Speer 12" and "Speer 13" with fake start velocities and loads listed in a hierarchy of velocities, but all at different pressures.

YMMV

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
I must agree with IceHoleKen regarding the Lyman.

The Sierra makes me a bit nervous. It was reported in Handloader magazine a few months back that they continue to develop their loads using case expansion instead of pressure barrels. I simply cannot trust this method. I would use Sierra data only in a strong gun that has first rate gas handling. It would also be useful in confirming fps vs. charge data found in other load books.

I like Hodgdon's 2004 annual for the number of the cartridges covered, but some of the data looks iffy to my eye.

Overall, buy as many as you can afford and compare the numbers from all to establish reasonable limits, limits you might want to verify with a chronograph.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IceHole:

Lyman Manual, yes. 48th Edition, NO. 47th Edition is the better in my opinion.

Hodgdon 26th Edition is my other favorite, both out of print now, but findable used.

I then Go with Sierra 4th and 5th, and the Hornady 4th Edition.
Speer I use as occasional reference.

Barnes 2 & 3 have some interesting reference also.

I use to love Nosler, but i find I use them less and less. I prefer Numbers 3 and 4 the most.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few manuals but always get a Loadbook from Midway, which is a booklet with loads for a particular caliber as published by most of the above. If you are looking to load for just a few calibers and don't want to spend lots on manuals, try this route.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote