New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking 223Rem loads for accuracy
 Login/Join

Picture of Specter65
posted
I'm new to reloading and am just now learning the basics. I shoot two different Savage rifles with 1:9 twist and want to develope some decent target loads for 200yds and out. I've shot a bunch of Black Hills 60gr VMAX and 69gr MHP with groups often .5" or less and would love to recreate these loads.

I have some 69gr Sierra MHP and some 75gr AMAX bullets I intend to load this weekend using some Varget powder. I wanted to also get some N-140 and some H-335 powders but the local store will have to order those.

I'd love to hear from anyone else using this combination of bullet and powder with a 9" barrel twist.

-----------------------------------------
Theology is a way for people to explain that which they don't know. Science is a way for people to say "I don't know this.... Let's figure it out!"

Posts: 15 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
While not the bullet you wish to use, my FP10 really likes 55 gr. Nos. BT in front of 25.6 gr. H335 in WW case, CCI SR primers. So far best group was .21" (only 3 shot) w/3300 fps vel. This load is a bit warm in my rifle, stretching primer pockets on third or fourth round, so start low & work up. Shoots minute of coyote out to 300 yards, too. Smiler

Sierra 53 gr. MK's w/same load did not work, produced 1 1/4" group but did not experiment w/seating depth; could have been the problem with this bullet.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double check this load with the books, but as I recollect my Savage FP110 likes 69gr Matchkings with about 25.5 grains of WW748 and I think the Varget is very similar.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Specter65
posted Hide Post
These sound good for a place to start. I've wanted to try both the H335 and W748 powders... at least when I can get my hands on some. Who knows, maybe the Varget will be the ticket for my gun as I'm also planning to load some 60gr Vmax as well.

Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the 69 grainers, 25 grains of Varget with an OAL of 2.3" is it with a 9 twist. JMHO but I think federal 205m match primers help.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
69 gr sierra match,25 gr R-15,wsr primer,2.25 col.
55 gr BT nosler,25.6 gr,wsr primer,2.22 col
These shoot very well in my 10 fp.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Since you are new to reloading I must put emphasis upon your need to learn to work up your own loads as described in the many fine reloading manuals available. That said one of the most accurate loads I have shot in my Colt accurized rifle 24" 1 in 9 twist is athe 75 A-Max and 23.5 grains of Varget with the Federal 205M primer in IMI brass at a longer tan normal length to seat way out for single loading in my 5.56 chamber. Before using this rifle on 2 Pdog safaris the 5 shot groups were in the 1/4 MOA range and 10 shots hovered at just under .5. Reloading technique and attention to details will help you enormousily, keep notes and targets with weather conditions and dates available to you. Should you want a 77 grain Sierra MKHP load that is for a 2.255 inch loaded round, try 23.5 grains of IMR 4895, that's a screamer as well. The A-Max killed Pdogs to 1106 yards, so I think you'll like it best! Good luck and saftey first always.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owensby.. on you second target pic, with the 40 grain ballistic tip and 27.3 grains of Benchmark...

move that up to 28 grains and that group should close right up...

it has done so on 6 different 223s I own...

some nice groups.. that 55 grain Btip group is excellent.. that is what we strive for!

not bad on the 260 also... I use 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 with a 100 grain bullet for my hunting loads with that caliber...does a fine job, doesn't it!!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
69gr matchking over 2015 was the best combo I found for my rifle for pure accuracy.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote