New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 grainers in .257 Roberts?
 Login/Join

<fishnfool>
posted
Anybody have a favorite load for using 100 gr. bullets in .257 Roberts? What kind of velocity are you getting? I tied H414, W760, IMR 4895, and H4831 the other day with 100 gr. NBT and couldn't get better than 1.5" at mild velocity (2850 fps chronoed) in my Ruger Ultra Light. This from a rifle that stacks the 115 gr. NBT into 3 shot groups as small as .375" @ 100 yds. on my good days. Is it a twist rate issue?

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
fishnfool -

Shouldn't be a twist rate thing. If it shoots that well with 115's, it should certainly handle 100's with ease.

Have you tried this batch of 100 BT's in anything else? Historically, they're a pretty accurate performer.

Steve must be sleeping in today, so, I'll fill this in for him http://stevespages.com/257_8_100.html as a good source of loads.

I've had good luck with 46 H4350/100 BT's.

You might also try playing around with seating depth and primer choices.

R-WEST

------------------
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
Dean Vernon Wormer - 'Animal House'

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
One of the most accurate Roberts loads I have found is a 100 gr ballistic tip over IMR 3031. This particular combination has shot great in 3 different rifles.

I don't think the twist rate has anything to do with it but you might play with the seating depth a little.

<fishnfool>
posted
R-WEST & Mike M,

Thanks for the info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fishnfool,
I have just started load development for my Roberts. I have tried 117 gr. Sierra BT w/IMR4350. This load shot extremely well. Next, I tried 100 gr. Hornady SP w/ H414; this shot about 1.250". Then I tried 100 gr. Nosler BT w/IMR4350 this shot .400". I have some 115-gr. BT's loaded w/RE19 that I plan to shot on Friday. I'll let you know how they shoot. The Nosler #4 manual states that IMR4350 is the powder for the Roberts. With the few combinations that I've tried, I would not disagree. Good luck and let us know who you are doing.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Whitespider>
posted
.257 Roberts, 100gr bullets, bench rest primers, AND IMR4350 HANDS DOWN.

<fishnfool>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by C-ROY:
Good luck and let us know who you are doing.

C-ROY

C-ROY,

I have been faithful to my wife since day one!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fishnfool, If you ain`t tried RL22 you might want to. I just looked at my target board of keepers and saw 49 gr. with 100 grain Sierra was a 5 shot .535 with a flier.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
<fishnfool>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try some of the powders mentioned here and see if the groups shrink.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm a Roberts fan and have had great results with IMR 4350, I have been using 100gr. Nosler BT, and loaded some Barnes X's also in 100gr. but have yet to take a deer with them. The posts so far have offered some good info. and if you try IMR 4350 also try changing the seating depth. Primers can also change the consistancy so there's another option. Mine is a 77R and shoots the 115/117 about the same as 100gr. You have found a great deer/ antelope round.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to post the results of the RE19 & 115-gr. BT. The best group measured .800 at hundred yards. This combination I believe is better than that in my rifle. I was not shooting very well. Just too distracted, there was a concealed weapon class going on at the other end of the firing line and my concentration was not where it should have been. I plan to reload this load maybe go up a .5-1.0 grain and move the bullet closer to the lands. I had the depth about .010 off the lands. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get back to shoot due to work conflicts. I will post the results if the thread is still going.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a max load of 3031 over a 100 grain Seirra Spire point. Works for me!!!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Holy Moly 9 year old resurrection!

But while we are at it my gals 257 likes 100 grain Sierras with max doses of IMR-4064.
Very accurate out of a Ruger Ultra Light

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Funny. In the years since this post I've tried both IMR4064 and 3031 and had good results. Switching primers made a difference when using lighter varmint bullets but I didn't switch them when shooting heavier bullets, results were good enough. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with H-380 in my 257 Roberts Improved, with both 87grn, and 120 grn bullets.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best load I have found for my Roberts is 38gr of Varget over Sierra 100gr SBT. I've also had good luck with 100gr Partitions. This load took a Red Stag cull at a lasered 188yds DRT.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote