One of Us
posted
Pics of my homemade Vibra-Prime

Here is the YouTube video that was my inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0zqX8DAXQ
and the improved version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...QJME&feature=related

Here's my version

In the following pic you can see the hex wrench that I used to insure proper alignment between the black Lee flip tray and the Dillon primer pick up tube. The end I attached to the Lee flip tray was opposite the end that is used to pick up primers.

Pics of my homemade Vibra-prime - Part One

The next pic shows where I applied hot glue to secure the Dillon tube to the "trough" of the Lee flip tray.

The last pic on this thread shows how I wrapped red vinyl tape around to the make it look better and increase its structural strength.

Go to next thread,
Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The following pics show where I filled in the space between the Lee flip tray and Dillon tube with hot glue to increase its structural support.

The following pic shows a view from the top. I'll remove the hex wrench tomorrow. Everything should be set by then

The following pic shows my Large and Small Vibra-Primes. I'm still waiting on the vibrator to arrive. It will be touched to the side of the flip tray and stimulate the primers to travel through the channel and fall into the Dillon tube.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work as planned.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see no reason why it shouldn't work as planned.

What the French said about Maginot... Big Grin

Give us a report when it's up and running... thumb

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll let you know how it works tomorrow.

Hack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btefft:
Okay, I'll let you know how it works tomorrow.

Hack

If we are starting a pool, my vote is that it (they) will work well. Might require a little fine tuning where the primers leave the flip tray and enter the tube, though. If there is room for the primer to get sideways, surely some will.

After seeing the device, I suggest that an electric vibrator is overkill. Flipping by hand, then gravity feeding into the tubes seems to me as if it would work just fine.

(Early) congratulations of a fine execution of a good idea.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I milled a slot in the corner of an RCBS primer tray.

I clamp a Forster primer tube to the tray.

I push lines of primers into the tube.

The Forster tube has the primer axis perpendicular to the tube, whereas your primer's axis are parallel with the tube.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both worked fine and I didn't even need the vibrator, just tapped it with my finger.

I did make one major mod. If you look at the pic, you'll see a raised area surrounding the hex wrench where it enters the primer tube. I used my Dremel to sand it off flat, on the same plane as the rest of the flip tray. I did it because primers were flipping sideways and clogging up the works. With a flat piece of clear plastic covering the area, primers did not have room the flip. Now this thing works just like I planned.

Hack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work...!!

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fill me in, whats the benefits?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of picking up 100 primers with a one-at-a-time pickup stick. I can now load 100 primers in a pick-up stick in about 30 seconds.

Its a better use on my time. Plus I like tinkering around and making things I can use.

Hack