Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help on Moahawk 600
 Login/Join

posted
good evening, my name is WT, i am a new member and I thank you for receiving my request to join. i have owned a Mohawk 600 in .222 sense the mid. 70's. i have recently acquired two more, one in .243, and the other in 6mm. Knowing from my experience with the short barrel 600 I need a load with a faster burn rate. just hope that some one on the forum has worked this up already, any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance WT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 600 chambered in 6mmRem and I shoot a 70 grain Nosler BT over H4895 in Win headstamped cases. In order for me to load into the magazine the bullets have to jump quite a ways to engage the rifling. I tried loading close to the lands using IMR4350 and they were pretty accurate but I had to load like a single shot, and when I seated them deeper the accuracy went all to "you know where". I tried different powder charges of the 4350 but to no avail and that is when I changed propellant.

Every rifle is a rule unto itself and many times a load that works in one will not work the same way in another identical rifle, but usually they will be similar loads. However, I don't think you need to worry about differing barrel lengths when working up a rifle load, such as using different powder for the shorter barrel compared with what would be used in a longer barrel.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, just use loads you find in your book; the fastest ones will also be fastest in your 20 inch barrel.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Ignoring the super overbore. Normally the powder that gives the fastest loads will give them 20-22-24". Now super overbores need long barrels and slow powder and often compressed loads for max velocity.

I have found that a faster powder might give less muzzle blast in a short barrel

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True, but the huge muzzle blast and flash really impresses the usual range crowd.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
True, but the huge muzzle blast and flash really impresses the usual range crowd.

Or yourself at dusk or sun up out of a deer blind. flame

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

Or yourself at dusk or sun up out of a deer blind. flame

Ain't that the truth. Used to hunt with a 600 in 308, muzzle blast from that 18" barrel was impressive in low light.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a 350 Rem Mag with an 18 inch barrel; you don't notice the flash yourself through the scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have a 350 Rem Mag with an 18 inch barrel; you don't notice the flash yourself through the scope.

You notice it when you deliberately shoot from the hip at near dark just to observe the results. Perhaps you didn't engage in foolish behavior as a young man, but I certainly did.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Or sitting to the side as your son takes a shot.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several short barreled 308s and a few others I prefer longer barrels now.

I do have a 16.5 barreled one that I plan to put a suppressor on some day.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The powder that yields the optimal velocity probably won't change between 24 inches and 18 inches of barrel length. HOWEVER, a faster powder (of the same chemical composition) will yield lower muzzle pressure and therefore a bit less blast and flash. The lessening of blast and flash may or may not be significant, so load the powder that gives you the best accuracy with acceptable velocity.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote