New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 S&W = 10MM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This topic was posted by me a few weeks ago, and involves using Hodgdon Data for their Longshot powder in the 40 S&W. The bottom line is that it does what the manual says it will do, and that is deliver 10 MM auto perfromance in a 4 inch 40 S&W barrel. My 4.7 inch CZ 75 does a bit better.

Some of the comments last time scared me away from these loads as they may have safe pressures but could still beat up the slide just because of the power involved. For example, 8.0 grs of Longshot will easily drive a 180 gr cast lead bullet over 1200 fps at 32,000 psi in my CZ, but it doesn't FEEL like a 40 anymore.

I finally tried some 135 gr Nosler JHPs in front of Hodgdon's max load od 12.0 grs of Longshot and got 1500 fps with less recoil and great accuracy. So, I backed the charges down to 1415 fps for 600 FPE and pressures below 30,000 psi. Now it feels like a 40, and does not seem to be beating up the gun while the effect of the 135 JHPs in .400 diameter at this speed is nothing short of sobering.

This low recoiling whopper is 9% over major and can be triple tapped 10X all day long from 7 paces.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sabot, Thanks for the info. Just helped a buddy wrestle a "Hogue" (tube type) grip onto his 40S&W yesterday.

We went to the Range a couple of weeks ago with it. He and another old buddy shot it using Factory Ammo. It was hammering them both through that Synthetic Stock pretty good. Didn't try it myself since I was having enough trouble remembering the "break point" on my own triggers.

I'll copy this Thread to him since he might want to try the Loads you mentioned. Are they from the Powder Jug or from the Hodgdon Manual?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core -

They are from the Hodgdon Manual 2002. Max loads are:

135 gr Nosler JHP, COL 1.125, 12.0 grs Longshot: 1480 fps at 32,400 psi

180 Hornady XTP, COL 1.125, 8.0 grs Longshot: 1159 fps at 32,300 psi

They don't list anything for the 155 gr option, but I worked up to 10.0 grs and 1300 fps with no problems other than increased recoil, so I cut back to 9.0 grains for 1170 fps. MY barrel is 4.7 inches.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sabot, Thank you. I might just have one of those or a 2003 version laying around here somewhere. I think I picked one up at a Gun Show a couple of months ago.

Thanks again and best of luck with yours.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LONGSHOT "Hodgdon Basic Reloader's Manual 2002": 40 S&W, LONGSHOT 6.0 gr.,
1.125", 4", 200 gr. HDY XTP, 954 fps, 32,500 psi

My experiments with good case support:
At 12 gr. the OAL springs out to 1.160", 12 gr. blew a small hole in case.
Looks like extractor pulled head loose from weld to case body, +100% extra powder.

I TIG welded the feed ramp and re cut the chamber and feed ramp so the case is supported to the web.
 -

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised...to 200 grainer is going to really compress Longshot and all bets are off re pressure. Why Hodgdon listed that load is an interesting question...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I think there is a reason to be concerned about gun strength with these sorts of loads.

I use a Nosler 135 HP on a 40 S&W case using Super Field as a propellent. The firearm is a custom 1911 with a Colt Delta Elite slide and Nowlin fully supported comp'ed barrel. It is fitted like a bank vault ... very, very strong. Was built as an experiment when IPSC was considering a 40 caliber floor for major race guns. It is that old. Ammo is loaded to nearly 10 mm length. Truly a 10 mm with a short case. Reduces the difficulty in extracting and ejecting the long 10 mm case.

My max loads chrono at 1580 fps and kill deer like a howitzer. The terminal ballistics are absolutely terrifying. An accident with such a thing would be unthinkable!

This approach does work and does last. But ... Guys I gotta tell ya ... I can't think of anything I would do less in building the next one. I really gotta ask if it makes sense to shoot this kinda load in a short case from a factory firearm. Caution should prevail here.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
I'm not sure I understand the discussion here. Aren't all 40 S&W's built with supported chambers? As I recollect, my S&W Sigma has a supported chamber (don't have it in front of me). So, given a supported chamber, and a powder that supposedly meets the pressure ranges specified (I assume around or less than 33K PSI) what is wrong with the loads Hogdon specifies? At the upper end, it would certainly make sense to use stronger springs. I haven't shot the 200's. My gun shoots most accurately with 180's, and the max load for VV is (again from memory) around 6.6 grs. of N340, which supposedly give a little over 1100 fps. This load meets the pressure specifications for this round. Note that I am not claiming 10mm ballistics as I don't know what they would be. It is well know, I believe, that the 40 is a high pressure round, and that the pressure rises very rapidly ie. the max is really a max and not an "advisory"
Just curious,
peter.