New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady .458 Soft Point bullets.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tried to order from Midway and they say Hornady has discontinued them.

If true, I wonder what they will load in their Lott production.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If that true then what pill will be in there 450 factory stuff? a rn or hp?

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
im not surprised, the loss of trajectory of this bullet is not a good trade off when the higher velocity of a smaller caliber will probably give plenty of expansion. and with A- frame and nosler bullet success it will make such a caliber/softpoint/pennetration formation easy to duplicate.. i can see why you could want to cut down on carrying a half dozen rifles to africa in todays political environment tho.. this reason will not even pay the bills for hornady.. some of the best things ever made have been lost to newfandangles, some of which is simply magazine hype..the big problem is we dont see these things comming and we cant stock up if they are already out of production.. try searching other companies, someone probably has several dozen boxes.. try graph, old west scrounger,other mailorder providers, then large gun retail chains.. youll probably find enough to last a lifetime if you search.. dave.

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
AHF,

I got the same e-mail from Midway this morning. I use this bullet for my 'plinking' load as they're relatively inexpensive. Not sure what I'll use now. May have to 'bite the bullet' and learn how to cast.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

I was just on the Hornady site and they show them as orderable (is that a word?).

So I placed an order for some at $35.21 a box. I haven't gotten a confimation e-mail yet, so we'll see if I'll get them

Take Care,

-Steve

(BTW, Thanks Tim!!)

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
GOOD NEWS!! Just got this from Hornady:

Quote:

Steven,

There's been an upgrade on this bullet that I wanted to let you know about. This bullet has now been changed to an Interbond bullet; it has a bonded core which prevents the jacket separating from the lead. When you receive your bullets, the number will be 45049 on the label on the box. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Hopefully, they'll get the website changed this week.

Kathy McHale, Customer Service
Hornady Mfg.

And my reply:

Quote:

Dear Kathy,

Thanks for the QUICK response and follow up! I thought that you guy's might have discontinued production of all your 500 grn .458 bullets as Midway sent me an e-mail informing me that my back order was canceled. I was hoping that I might be able to order from you directly.

Going to an bonded bullet is GREAT news and will be well accepted by the dangerous game hunting community.

Take Care,

-Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Thanks for the information. I did not get a response from my email to Hornady. The bonding is good news. I was just using them for practice. susposedly have 5 boxes of the one style or the other coming from D and R Sports at $22 and change along with 5 boxes of the new style solids @$20.00. (good for practice at that price.

Thanks again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found there 300 gr .375 RN to be quite soft.....I imagine the .458 bullet would be harder.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.375's were good years ago, but I have to agree the current is rather soft.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too learned of the new Interbond 500gr RN .458 bullet this week and am quite pleased. This will be a major improvement on this bullet. I'm not sure how thick the jacket will be or if it was enhanced/thickened along with this new bonded design. Does anyone know the jacket thickness on this 500gr RN? And of course best of all is that it's affordable compared to many other bonded premium bullets at $1 or more a piece. The salesrep at Midsouth told me it's about $24.00 a box for the new Interbond 500's.

I too am HOPING the .375 300gr RN will also be redesigned as an Interbond soon. I imagine they're doing them one at a time, introducing a few new Interbond bullets each year. We have to give them credit for the improvement, as bonded core bullets are superior by far over the old style jacketed bullets. That "Interlock" ring was not all that effective upon violent impact.

I would also be very pleased to see their 350gr .458" FP for the .450 Marlin go to an Interbond design, this would really put that factory .450 Marlin round in a better position as a Brown bear defense round. As it is now that bullet is just a bit fragile for my taste.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote