Notify
Tools

No rotation, no stability
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted
Hey guys,
Sorry my former topic gave you some trouble (oil in chamber), but here is another question which bothers me. Rotation is but a very small part of the energy of a flying bullet, even a tiny leaf in the bulletpath can destroy it and your stability (I mean of the bullet) is gone. Has anyone an explanation of what is left of the rotation after hitting? What about the difference between a conventional softpont, a premium and a full jacket?
Thank you,
Jan.
killpc

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Jan you might have just missed this thread it's on page 6 or 7 by now

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/488103305/p/1

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods- You are so right. Its a wonder we are not speaking German.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This would have a good side, too: You'd have better cars to drive...

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
This would have a good side, too: You'd have better cars to drive...

Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan:
but here is another question which bothers me.

Rotation is but a very small part of the energy of a flying bullet, even a tiny leaf in the bulletpath can destroy it and your stability (I mean of the bullet) is gone.:

I think you may be exaggerating the average effects. As I understand it a "tiny leaf" may blow-up a fragile fast moving projectile.
In fact a fragile one spinning too fast may just disintergrate with out hitting anything.

On the other hand more strongly constructed bullets can drill through a lot more than a leaf
(steel plate for instance) and go on for some distance afterwards.
Some that hit something and miss a target may be deflected away rather than just loose their spin and velosity.

I was shooting some Norma factory 48gr in 220 Swift once and heard of them "blowing up". I shot some at a piece of wood sticking up from a felled tree stump.

At about 50 yards with a muzzle vel of over 4000fps the damn things just drilled on through, and kept going.

Re. the article mentioned by Woods, I read one in a magazine referring to long range shooting that said some projectiles will nose over, but some (like my 69gr Sierra 223Rem bullets at 900 yards) will go thru the target nose up and sideways in a tipical key hole shape. By memory they were all pointing at about 10 o'clock.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote