New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt & WST
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried WST with 45 Colt? There is no data but the loads I've tried are very accurate from 15-50yds. I know it's rated too fast for this cartridge, but you can't argue with performance. Have also had good luck with the 4756, 7625, and unique, but not to the level of the WST. I'm not sure if discussing rates on unlisted powders is allowed, but it seems to perform quite well.

Posts: 52 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I only use WST is smaller cap. carts. like 9mm & 45acp. Burn rate is about like W231, which I thnk is too fast for the big colt case.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with WST.
Please explain, ok?

I just got a blackhawk combo two months ago.

6gr Red Dot in either ACP, or Colt is too light.
H110/21gr is min charge for Blackhawks list in two books

BUT: It seems to be a very powerful load to me with 230gr soft lead Hornady RN's.

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
george, I'm not sure what "book" your loading data comes from, but 6gr of RedDot in a 45acp case is pushing max. The H110 load is ok but you are right it is a warmer load.
I'm not sure what kind of loads you are looking for in your Ruger. The 6gr RD in the 45colt is a nice plinking load. I would move up to the 250-255gr SWC instead of the 230grRN fora general purpose bullet. *gr of Universal or Unique gives you decent vel. & fills the case better than the faster powders. Unless you like the heavy loads, save H110 for bullets 250gr & up.
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/45colt.php
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.asp...id=1031&bulletid=110

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Super Target --- I've tried 6.2-6.9gr(there is no data so..) with 200gr lrn with great results. Also used 200gr swc (acp bullet) with slight roll crimp with excellent results. I never had much luck with a taper crimp on colt loads.(bullets without a cannalure)You might want to try a slight roll crimp on the 230gr bullets just short of the shoulder. The 4756 or unique would probably be a better choice for the heavier rounds. I haven't had the urge to try the "for rugers only" loads yet with the H110 or 296.

Posts: 52 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote