Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Silver tip & Power Point Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
The old style ST is a soft bullet in my limited exp. seeing them used. I witnessed my friend shoot a bull elk w/ his 06 @ less than 75yds, into the rib cage. The bull went down but the buulet completely fragmented, not existing, & it only hit a rib going in. I wouldn't trust them on elk from a .30 mag. unless you are talking 300yd+ shot (just my nickels worth).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I just bought 6 boxes of Winchester 180 gr. bullets. 3 boxes of Silver Tips and 3 boxes of Power Points. I'm not familiar with Winchester bullets. My question is what these bullets are good for hunting. Which is the tougher bullet, ST or PP? Would they be good for Elk in a 300WBY or 300RUM? The price I just couldn't refuse.

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some old style a couple of 130 grain 270 win) silvertips (old style), that I recovered from a couple of hogs yrs back, not sure where they are, but best I remember they had about 40% retention, fine for deer, but thats about all. I shot several hogs (headshots) with the same 130 gr silvertips in my 270 wby mag, explosive to say the least, but it hammered um. I bet I still have some left, they shoot good, but I prefer a premium bullet. I used to buy them in bulk real cheap at the gun shows in Houston yrs back. None the less, a lot of game has been taken with them old silvertips.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Power-point is a tougher bullet, I wouldn't use either on ELK at MAGNUM velocities. Decent enough bullet, but personally, if used in a mag, I'd limit their use to deer sized game.

Outdoor Writer from this forum has some pretty decent experience with Power Points.

Tony, are you there??

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Doesn't W-W use the 180 Power-Points in their factory 300 WM and WSM loads, and recommend them for elk and such? I always thought the P-P's were similar to R-P's Core-Lokts, and had a good rep on large game.

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advise guys. These are the older type in the white and yellow boxes. I guess I'll just will keep them for my 06 and 308 win. The silver tip should make a devastating load for coyote in the ultra mag, no?

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I believe the Power-point is a tougher bullet, I wouldn't use either on ELK at MAGNUM velocities. Decent enough bullet, but personally, if used in a mag, I'd limit their use to deer sized game.

Me too! Neither one should be used in .300 Magnum ammo that could be used on elk, moose, or big bears as well as deer!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Silvertips have no exposed lead.
What they have is a big aluminum head on them that gives a sort of delayed expansion. The aluminum mushes up and then it starts to expand. They have a great repuataion on deer.
The Power-Points are basically just a lead and copper bullet, not really much different than a Core-Lokt or any Hornady, Sierra, or Speer cheapie bullet.
I handload for a 7X57 Mauser and in my 100 year old M1895 rifle with the original barrel I can get five shots in 3/4"
I have not hunted with them yet but as far as accuracy goes, I couldn't be happier.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I guess there is a differece between the old stuff and the new bullets. I pulled some old loads apart with 165 gr. Partitions. Got one stock in the collett which required me to tap it out with a punch. It flattened the partition's nose, kinda soft. I did the same with the old power points and it appeared the the nose lead was much harder on the power point. I can still use them in my 06 or 308. I used a 150 Ballistic tip in my 30-338 at 3573fps and it turned the chest cavity of the Muley to "Jello" I mean it was liquified. That was about a 300 yard shot. I suppose it would have exploded at closer ranges. But I have used it on Lopes also and they just don't run when the ballistic tip catches up them.

one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted Hide Post
I have used both with great results in 30-06 and 270 on deer but the results in a 300 win mag and 300 w.s.m thay blew up to much in my opinon.I also think the silver tip & power point are exelent in a 3030 or 35 i have used both with no problems as a young hunter.Happy hunting.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote