Find
Notify
Tools

How far is too far?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted
I posted the following discussion in the Small Bore discussion group, but I should have probably posted it here for more opinions.

Outside of shooters ability what determines the maximum effective range of a round? I suppose if I'm using a heavily constructed bullet like the TSX I am bound by the 1600-1800 fps and its corresponding range limit of the round for proper expansion in regards to an effective range.

I have seen people take coyotes at well over 450+ yards with a 25-06 using a 75gr V-Max, but I'm thinking more along the lines of whitetail size game. I'm just trying to get a feel of my rifles', a 25 WSSM and 30-06, effective range. Personally, I like to keep it shorter than 300 yards.

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How far is too far? I think that depends upon the shooter and his skill, knowin his rifle and how it performs at distances he will be shooting, me and another guy have been shooting 1250yds. 10 in. diameter steel plates, anything inside that i'm good for it as far as target shooting, actual hunting situations i would limit myself to 500-650 yds with the setup i am using for deer, also it depends on what u are gonna be hunting for. You wouldn't want to shoot a cape buffalo at 500yds, alot of answers to this ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like to keep it shorter than 300 yards.

Well, there you have it. Until you are willing to practice on paper at longer ranges stick to your "shorter than 300 yards."

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ability of the bullet to impart killing energy to the animal at the range at which it is hit. Most bullets have a velocity range at which they will effectively mushroom. When the bullet slows to below that speed, you have clearly reached a max.

In addition, deer sized animals are said to require about 1000ft/lbs of energy to kill reliably. Therefore, I'd get my ballistic tables and see when my vel and my energy dropped below these limits.

Lastly, there is the distance at which you feel comfortable (or uncomfortable) shooting. This may vary with the size of the animal your are hunting, conditions, etc. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I just recently took a 4x3 mulie at a bit over 400 yds with a 257 Roberts. Load was a 100 gr hornady at about 3150 fps, and no wind. I had to shoot from a seated position as there was nothing to rest on, and the grass was too tall to shoot from prone. Anyway, two shots through the lungs. He went about 10 yds between shots, and then dropped. Both bullet penetrated completely, but left only modest tissue damage in the lungs. I am not sure how much farther I'd like to shoot this load, as the bullet did not appear to expand much (based on tissue damage)...

Until very recently, I had not been able to practice at 400+ yds, but once given the opportunity, I quickly found my Roberts was up to the task (under calm conditions), from an accuracy perspective at least...

It really is all about conditions. Just the day prior I had passed up an angling 200ish yd shot across a valley because of a fairly gusty and swirling crosswind. Under calm conditions, that would have been a chip shot...

IMO, the key is a relatively flat-shooting rifle that is easy and cheap to practice with A LOT.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two factors come immediately to mind.
1. How far will your cartridge/bullet choice reliable kill the game you are hunting.

How far can you reliably hit the animal, in the vitals, you are shooting at with the current weather conditions fron the shooting position you are using. IE have you shot at that distance enough to KNOW when you pull the trigger you WILL hit.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the blinds on our S. Tx lease sits over a 250 ac field and has a road leading thru the brush some 460+ yds to the west. I hunt the blind regularly with my 7mm RM and have often thought about the "shoot-no shoot" thing when a buck steps out at the end of the road. I know my load is -17" at 400 yds (and I have the table taped to the inside of my ammo wallet). Since the subtension of the thin part of the duplex reticle in the Leupold 3X9 is 24.8" at 400 and 31.2" at 500, using the intersection of the thin part with the thick part beneath the intersection of the crosshairs would give me half of the full value in elevation, or about 12" at 400 and 15" at 500 yds. That helps a lot with the confidence, but it is still a long shot, especially with our normal winds of 10-15 mph. I've been looking with great interest at the Leupold 4.5 X 14 with the B&C reticle, but just haven't been able to make the jump yet.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To dustoffer:

I don't know how familiar you are with scopes but if you bought a scope with target turrets knowing your rifle and the bullet drop,460yds would be an easy shot with the 7mm, if you were up to it, I recommend the Nikon 6.5-20 with NikoPlex or Ballistic Mil-Dot, either scope is very user friendly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to go at 200 yards.But hunting heavy woods
its rare get a long shoot.So the 200 is paper.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammerthe.25-06

Guess I should try one. Never have though, but it surely makes sense as you can just dial in the elevation and use the regular aiming point instead of figuring the holdover, etc.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are so many variables. Here in Tennessee it is rare that I get a shot over 200 yards and my 30-30 with old 3x Weaver or .44 mag pistol is fine. Out west where I hunt each year I use a 7mm Ultra Mag, laser rangefinder, and 6.5x20x40 Leupold with target turrets. Rarely do I get a shot in the area I hunt under 300 yards. Still, if limited to only one rifle I would stick with my .30-06. It will do the job very well out to 400 yards and that covers most of it.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Well, the Army considers the maximum effective range of the M1/M14 under average or normal conditions to be 460 meters (500 yards) against personnel. I believe it would be about the same for a whitetail, if using a comparable round. Maybe another 100 meters for a magnum...... So, 500 yards for .30/'06 class rounds, and 600 for a 7mm Rem mag. or 300 Win. Mag.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote