New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temperature and velocity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was at the range to day testing loads it's around 35deg. I was getting around 3700 FPS out of my 22-250 with 36gr of reloader 15 & 50gr bullett no pressure signs yet & good accuracy. Will I get a increase in pressure and velocity when it gets warmer? Are their any reports on what I might expect?

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you will get increase in both pressure and velocity. For 30-06 a load which is 42,000psi at 70F will rise to about 49,000 ar 120F. Velocity goes from about 2680 to 2740 fps. ( from Norma data) If you start out at higher pressures the change is more dramatic. Develop max loads only in hot weather and when using them keep ammo out of direct sunlight.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
As for expectations, tou'll get an increase but it will vary with loads, propellants and temperatures. I've tried to make some semblance of sense out of what occurs using both a temperature gauge and hygrometer, along with chronograph. Bottom line is all propellants react differently depending on just about everything imaginable.

I will say I think you will be OK with your load even with a 30� increase in temp. Just be wary of any external pressure signs as the temperature increases.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There is some interesting info about temp and velocity at the Hodgdon site. Take the "extreme tour". HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote