New
Find
Notify
Tools

.327 Fed Mag Blackhawk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Beginning to load for my blackhawk. Is anybody loading LIL GUN? I have some 95 gr cast and some speer 115 gr gold dots. I went to the HODGDON site and they have some loading data published. Only one load for the LIL GUN and that was in a 100 gr xtp.

I am wanting to develope a small game round rather than an SD round. Thinking as heavy as 120 - 130 gr hard cast might be feasible. I have 100 casings and will pick some loads soon. Anybody out there using the .327 not as an SD load? thanks rc

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I don`t load and haven`t shot a 327 mag but, looking at the round I think Lil-Gun is a bit too slow for what you want to do. I`d try a faster powder especially with cast bullets at somewhat reduced velocities.
JMHO....

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, you called it. Too slow according to a tech at Hodgdons Powder today. He advised that I couldn't get enough LIL GUN into the caseing with a 115 gr bullet to move get the velocity I wanted.

(Also note, I was told NOT to "heavy compress" LIL GUN because it could/wood get squrrilly on me. From Gods mouth to my Ear. I had never heard that about LIL GUN, but, if the tech at the powder company says it, I Believe It.)

I tried on a whim. The case capacity to the top holds 18gr of lil gun. When I filled the case to where the bullet sitting on the powder is at the crimp line in the case, it was only a little over 7 grains. That's not going to do it.

Still thinking about it. Maybe WIN 296 or H 110? Maybe move to the Alliant Powders. Red Dot has always been ok with lead bullets in rifle cases. Unique?

Part of the fun I guess. Seafire, where are you when I really need you? Smiler

thanks to all... RC

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
My dad is loading some as we speak, let me call and check what he's using.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
He said he is using a 115 grn SWC cast bullet using H4227, he just started load development with it.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H4227 is one I hadn't thought of. Seems like I used to shoot that in my .44 mag (a long time ago). I will check out the density in the casing. Mad Jack 02, if your father feels like sharing his results, please post what he tried and what happened. thanks rc