THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bending the Neck - Redding Competition Dies?!
 Login/Join

posted
So, while I am somewhat new to reloading, I brought over a sage today to help me tackle a problem that's driving me up a wall... and now him as well.

I'm using the Redding competition 3 die set for .338 Lapua Magnum and my issue has to do with the de-priming and sizing stage.

Basically no matter what we try, once we go to de-prime, the brass gets slightly smashed at it's neck. Unless we shave the brass down past 2.706 inches.

I'm new to reloading .338 Lapua, so I can't say for sure if shaving the brass down that far is actually a problem. I can say that the factory loads I have on hand to reference aren't shaved that far. They sit at 2.716" before they're shot.

I have a brand new Redding Big Boss II.

I do not have this issue with my same set of competition die for 308, not by a long shot. I can pop primers out of that sucker all day long with no issues. It seems FAR more forgiving at this stage.

My question comes in two parts... does anyone have any experience with what I am talking about?

The second, if anyone could tell me what length their lapua brass is being shaved to, perhaps that could help. Maybe the Hornady ammo I am referencing is just strange.

I did order new Lapua brass to see what length those come in at.

I've attached a photo to help explain the problem.

We've tried seating the die every which way to Sunday, and this has been the result on 7 brass so far.

To answer the question, yes I start with the knobs backed all the way out and I slooooowly work them in until the primer is punched out.

Once I get that length set on any one brass, it definitely doesn't work on another unless that brass has been shaved low enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this if you haven't already. Take the depriming stem out of the resizing die. Set the resizing die for the resizing you want (neck sizing or full length resizing). Lock the die in the press. Now insert the depriming stem into the die and work down until the primer is punched out. Lock the depriming stem into the die. The 338 Lapua should not be any different than any other brass.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know about bending and shaving. I do know you are crushing the case, meaning the mouth of the case is hitting the die and that should not happen.

I do not know if you are forming and or sizing, it would appear you are necking the case up with a sizer ball, if that is what you are doing I suggest you lengthen the sizer ball/primer punch assemble.

It appears you have a good start on a double fair at the shoulder/neck juncture.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Problem solved, it was a die adjustment. http://thefiringline.com/forum...=5892128#post5892128

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to figure out the neck and or shoulder can not collapse with case body/shoulder/neck support.

The three die set has two dies that support the case body, shoulder and neck. One is the bushing die with case body support, the other die is the body die.

It would have made more sense if someone had suggest he was using a seating die, the seating die aligns the neck with the bullet and sets on the shoulder, after that there is no additional support.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote