New
Find
Notify
Tools

.25 caliber recommendations needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to buy a .25 caliber rifle as an all around gun for deer, antelope, varmints and targets. I am looking for something flat shooting and hard hitting. I would like to hear your recommendations on which .25 caliber to buy. I am not restricted to factory cartridges so any wildcat recommendations would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

------------------
Washington, DC -- where they took a perfectly good swamp and made it into a sewer.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
.25-06 Remington

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
.25-06 Remington

I agree with this recommendation.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I prefer the 25-284,to the 25-06. In a standard action,the 25-06Ackley gets the nod...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
.257 Weatherby, or .257 Roberts

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait,

Putting your four uses together, and indeed using that one rifle for all four would steer me to a cartridge with enough power to do each job, but not more. That way you will get more rounds through the barrel before you wear it out.

The .257 Roberts is still around in some factory rifles, and it is a premier multi-purpose cartridge. It is limited only by the bullets available.

The .25-06 burns a lot more powder, and the larger cases burn more each time you pull the trigger.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

[This message has been edited by HunterJim (edited 01-03-2002).]

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .257 Roberts Ackley Improved is one to consider IMHO. Performance, case life and accuracy are generally excellent.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If most of my shooting was to be at deer and antelope, and I was focused on "hard hitting", I'd look at the 257 Wby or 25-06. Get a long barrel though if you have a chronograph - I wouldn't want you to be disappointed.

If my shooting opportunities were more evenly balanced I'd look at the 257 Roberts or AI version.

Personally, I see no reason for the 25-06. I'd rather have a 6.5-06 or a 270. I love the 257 Roberts. It is the best sub-270 cartridge for use in a 22 inch barrel. It is the finest cartridge to ever fall on hard times. However, it will never die because true riflemen know it is perfectly balanced, is a dream to reload and a dream to shoot.

Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<PrimeTime>
posted
go to www.duanesguns.com and check out the 257DGR. It is based on the 260 case but improved and necked down to 25 caliber. Basically you get 25-06 performance from a short action cartridge. One of the best features is that the case is formed simply by running through a full length die. No fireforming necessary. I had to make the same decision this past summer and after researching everything available, decided to go with the 257DGR. Check it out and email me if you have further questions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Sharky, I've had experience with both the Roberts and the .25-284, and both experiences were good.

If you don't mind using a long action, then the .25/06 makes more sense than the .25/284 (cheaper cases, etc). But if you're limiting yourself to Texas whitetails and similar sized antelope (either native or exotic) and would prefer a short (medium) action, then the .257 Improved would be a winner. The only drawback to the .257, either Roberts or Imp, is that with bullets heavier than about 100 grains, you would have to seat pretty deep using a short action (the same is true of a .25-284). With 100 grainers for deer and 75's for varmints, the short action would work fine. The Roberts Improved will give you almost the velocity of either the .284 case or the .25/06.

If velocity and range are important, and you want to use 117 or 120 grain bullets regularly, then go with a .25/06 Improved. I would stay away from the Weatherby, but mainly because I dislike the radiused shoulder (sometimes troublesome in reloading and a poor headspacing shape) and extra freebore. Besides, if you need a cartridge of this power, you should buy a deer rifle AND a varmint rifle, because this is well out of the varmint class.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

By the way, do you know a good riflesmith here in or around GTown?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey"
They all gave you pretty good input.I would buy a factory rifle in 25-06.See how well it shoots.If it group well,then you can rechamber it.You have several choices.If it doen't group well.Have it rebarreled,in one of the wilcats,of your choice.I purchased a Tikka 25-06.It shot very tight groups.I rechambered to .25 Gibbs,because I have other Gibbs,which I could neck down.If I didn't have Other Gibbs calibers,
I would have gone to a.25 AI.It has a longer neck than the Gibbs.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait,

I would agree with my friend Nick, go for the 257 Roberts Improved.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67041 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for your replies. Lot's of food for thought. I have always been interested in the .257 Roberts AI, but thought about going to a faster cartridge like the .257 STW if I was going to the trouble to rechamber/rebarrel. I will let you know what I decide on and welcome additional input from other members. Maybe I'll buy one of each (in my dreams)!

------------------
Washington, DC -- where they took a perfectly good swamp and made it into a sewer.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff in ND>
posted
Primetime - Where are you located?

I also have a 257DGR, great round, and would be interested in comparing/sharing load info.

I may try shooting mine in HBR this summer if I can't get my 308 Obermeyer put together in time.

E-mail me: milender@ictc.com
Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

<phurley>
posted
The .257 Weatherby is one of my favourite rifles. Topped with a 6 X 24 burris Signature scope, it is a real Deer getter. A 120 gr. Nosler Partition at 3500 fps. is awesome to behold. Good shooting.

------------------

<Caveman>
posted
I have, and shoot both a 25-06 and a 257 Weatherby Mag. at deer and hogs in TX. I would not ever consider a 257 A.I. due to the versatility of the other two. Why? It really depends on what you want. My 257 Weath Mag consistantly shoots 200 f.p.s. faster than my 25-06, yet my 25-06 is shooting 3000 f.p.s. with 117 gr. pills. Anyway, who cares? My 25-06 is a killing machine! So what good is the extra velocity? I don't know...but my 257 Weatherby is the same way!! I cannot say anything bad about either caliber I have mentioned, they are both great! And easily accessable. I have excellent reload data for both if you need. Enjoy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
The .257 Roberts is still around in some factory rifles, and it is a premier multi-purpose cartridge. It is limited only by the bullets available.

If you do get a .257 Roberts, it should be on a long action -- not the short action that many were built on. The .257 Roberts is the 7x57 case necked down to .25 caliber. If you load heavy bullets in it, you have to seat them deep in order to work through a short action, as that case is long enough that it doesn't work through a short action unless the overall cartridge length is rather short.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
Maybe the 25 souper (25-308) it's predictable and not at all finicky about component selection.

<fishnfool>
posted
I like the standard .257 Roberts. I use 117 gr. Sierra spitzers and 115 gr. Nosler bal. tips in mine and it's quite effective on deer size game with +P handloads.

However, the .25-'06 can be had in the same rifle, giving it the sensible edge because the Roberts really requires a long action.

<Caveman>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by fishnfool:
However, the .25-'06 can be had in the same rifle, giving it the sensible edge because the Roberts really requires a long action. [/B]

Fishinfool, I believe you have this backwards. The Roberts does not require a long action, the 25-06 does. The length of case of the Roberts should be 2.233" and the 25-06 should be 2.494"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corey:
The Roberts does not require a long action, the 25-06 does. The length of case of the Roberts should be 2.233" and the 25-06 should be 2.494"

My understanding is that, yes, the Roberts can be built on a short action, but that this restricts you to seating heavy bullets quite deeply. Thus, both the .257 and the .25-06 ought to be built on a long action.

one of us
posted Hide Post

shark bait from a wisconson hunter who has used th 30-30 and the 308 and the 25-06 i have to say that the 25-06 goes hunting more than the rest. i have tryed some loads with
imr 4064 and 75 gr. sirria hollow points that you can cover with a dime at five shoots
at 100 yds. (i do not use these for deer hunting) any way as far as deer hunting goes i have been using 100 gr nosler balistic tip and and have had one shot kills with it.
i think it is a great cartrige and the best part is you can get brass for it.

just my opinon good shooting

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
<fishnfool>
posted
Corey,

LE270 explained it to you just as I would have. The .257 Roberts has been chambered in short actions, but bullets must be seated so deep in the case making it ill-suited for the short action. I was simply stating that my .257 Roberts (Ruger M77 Mk.II Ultra Light) has the same length action as the same rifle in .25-'06. Hope this helps.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 257 Roberts in a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle which is a short action. I haven't fired it yet but I've loaded 75gr VMax's seated to fit the magazine which places the base of the bullet right at the bottom of the neck.Any bullet heavier than this will be seated below the neck.An ideal action for this cartridge would be the short action Win Model 70 with it's 3.10" magazine box.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make the 25-06 in left handed bolt,sure like the look of this cartridge?

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage and Tikka make left handed 25-06's.

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alstro:
Savage and Tikka make left handed 25-06's.

Thanks,will look them up.

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
250 Savage AI in a model 7 action with a light contour 24" barrel.

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
Thus, both the .257 and the .25-06 ought to be built on a long action.

Actually, I should have said that the .25-06 must be built on a long action, and the .257 Roberts ought to be.

<manhasset>
posted
Hillbilly Hunter-
Your set up is my next toy. Could you tell me more about it. My e-mail is avaible on my profile. Thanks, Bob.

one of us
posted Hide Post
257 Roberts Ackley Imroved on intermediate Mauser action. Just because I'm building one. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote