New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 - 85gr ballistic tips
 Login/Join

<gamecock>
posted
Good load data for this 85gr Ballistic Tip would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What cartridge are you using?

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Thought you might be psychic...

.257 Roberts

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to be, however, they tell me the loss of the special power is due to excessive recoil exposure. Hmmm....

Anyway, my load data is for the 25.06 so specifics are of no value.

My best results with the Nosler 85 grain BT have been with IMR4831 and RL19.

RL19 was at published max and the bolt told me no more. Primers and pockets were OK.

The IMR4831 was also published max load but I'll be going a bit further with my rifle.

Bullets were seated .005 off the lands. Groups were in the 3/4"-7/8" range for 5 at 100.

I'll be trying some more loads tomorrow.

Regards,

~Holmes

<gamecock>
posted
Thx. Holmes - Working up some loads w/4064, 42 to 43.5gr. Will know on Monday.

Any special powers on my part are a vague memory - the combination of recoil, powder smoke, a sniff or two of Hoppe's 9, followed by liberal doses of juniper berry juice did the trick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for a 257AI and use 51.0gr of W-760 with the 85gr Ballistic Tip.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
I would try 3031 & 4895. Both have worked well for me with lighter bullets in the Roberts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of you ever look in your crystal ball to get the chrono data for your loads?

Always curious....

Later, Scout....

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scout:
Any of you ever look in your crystal ball to get the chrono data for your loads?

Always curious....

Later, Scout....

Yes.

I did not post them as they are for the 25.06, not the Roberts quarter bore.

I have posted my data in detail in other threads relevant to the cartridge.

~Holmes

<Greg Y>
posted
Holmes. I was wondering if you had used the Nosler 85 gr BT/25-06 combo on coyotes?? If so, what were the results?? Thanks..GREG

<Peter>
posted
Glenn. I have a 257 Roberts too and would be interested in your results. I have started using the heavier bullets eg. 120 gr (NP's).
Peter.

<gamecock>
posted
Peter, The 85gr Ballistic Tip load I've settled on for now is 42.5 gr/4064, CCI BR2 primers, Win cases. 5 shot, 1" groups out of an ancient Rem 722 w/23 1/2" bbl (a late 40s model - as I remember that's when dad bought it). Sighted for 1 1/2" at 100 yds., it was deadly on ground-hogs last week out to abt. 225 yds. May tinker a bit with bedding and such, but maybe not, as the only thing a smaller group would yield is bragging rights, and its guaranteed the whistle-pigs won't know the difference. Load should be stepping out at something close to 3200fps, but haven't clocked it yet. But again, I don't really care, except for data bank purposes, as the results were devastating.

Will be working on 115 gr Ballistic Silvertip loads in next week or so. Should be a whiz-bang on PA whitetails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi glen
I would class the 85gn bt as a varmint bullet and not a meat for the table bullet.
my experience is that it is to explosive to be designated for game. deadly accurate though!
the boat tail is irrelevant unless you are shooting beyond 300yds you would be better off with a flat base. I found that there was difficulty in loading the bullet out to rifling, and getting a good grip in the neck.
good luck.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Griff: My magazine allows seating to an overall length of 2.835" as opposed to the suggested 2.775", a limit imposed by some of the earlier chambering for the .257. That and a good cleaning of the old gun with Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV made all the difference in the world in accuracy. Thanks for your imput.