New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Remington
 Login/Join

<AVMcGee>
posted
I have some H322 and N133 powder I used in my .223. Can I use these powders for 40 gr. bullets in my 22-250?

The reason I ask is that the loading manuals I have start with H335 and N135.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
They are not suggested powders for that application.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Don't try to push those 40 gr.heads too fast. Limit to 3200 fps. They can have a nasty habit of disintegrating on the way down range if they are of the Super Explosive variety. Even regular constructed heads don't often like too be pushed too fast. They are usually great for .222 and .223 ammo. 22-250 has too much horsepower for them.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
Thanks for the help ricciardelli and Bob G.

I try some Varget I have.
I have some 40gr. HV bullets from GS Custom Bullets. They will handle all the velocity I can push with my 22/250.

I also plan on shooting the Hornady 60gr. HP.

<Rust>
posted
Andrew - While it is true that some of the 40 gr bullets originally designed for lower velocity cartidges such as the .22 Hornet will disintegrate in flight when pushed to higher vlocities, the modern designs such as the Nosler Ballistic tip and Hornady V-max will hang together at any speed that can be reached in a 22-250. I believe that Nosler tested their Ballistic Tips to 4600 fps without problem. Can't say I know what they where using to reach those velocities and I'll bet barrel life would be pretty limited.

<AVMcGee>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Rust:
Andrew - While it is true that some of the 40 gr bullets originally designed for lower velocity cartidges such as the .22 Hornet will disintegrate in flight when pushed to higher vlocities, the modern designs such as the Nosler Ballistic tip and Hornady V-max will hang together at any speed that can be reached in a 22-250. I believe that Nosler tested their Ballistic Tips to 4600 fps without problem. Can't say I know what they where using to reach those velocities and I'll bet barrel life would be pretty limited.

Rust, you are correct about those bullets. Take Hornady for example. Their "Varmit Express" ammo in 22-250 w/40gr. V-Max is 4150fps. The 220 Swift is 4200fps. One surely needs a bullet designed for these speeds. Gerard Schultz is getting 4400fps in a 220 Swift with his 40gr. HV's.

[ 09-19-2002, 01:54: Message edited by: AVMcGee ]