Find
Notify
Tools

Light loads in .300 WM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Recently bought a Ruger 77 left hand rifle in like new condition for an inexpensive price. I would like to load some rounds with good accuracy, but slightly lower on the power scale than normal (have injured shoulders). Something in the heavier .30-06 range would be acceptable. Anyone have any suggestions?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried reduced loads in the 300 many years ago, it did NOT go very well. I was using H4350 and 180gr BT's, I had hangfires with loads barely under minimum book loads.
I would not recommend the practice with any powder except H4895, it can safely be reduced to 60% of normal maximum loads.
I am not sure what velocity you would get, but it will be lower than normal.
I have had both shoulders reconstructed and my shooting shoulder also has had the A/C joint removed, recoil doesn't bother me, but carrying the bloody rifle all day does, especially now that my left shoulder needs the rotator cuff re-attached, again!

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use the lower end loads listed in the books they well give you close to 06 velocity.

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I had consistency issues with reduced loads in mine. An alternative to lighter loads is lighter bullets. I have a Colt Light Rifle in 300 Win Mag and I started shooting Barnes 130 gr bullets years ago. Their original 130 X bullet over their book load of WW760 gave right at 3600 fps on my Chrony with a lot less recoil than 180 factory loads. The mono-metals today are even better but I have some of the old Xs left and have had no problems with them.

I suppose I'd be a little hesitant to hunt a big bull elk with it just out of an abundance of caution. But it but it takes cow elk as well as it does whitetail deer and big 300 lb hogs.

That said, my new way around the recoil problem is my suppressor. If you can hunt game in CO with one it solves all these issues for us older guys with funky shoulders. My Colt is semi-retired and now I shoot my 300 Wby with full house 200 gr Lapua Megas and a suppressor. Kicks less than either of my two 308 Winchesters.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the assistance. I think the answer is with p dog, just use the lower end loads from the books and with the less dense powders.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might also consider trying cast bullets.

I was shooting some 45ish grain loads of 4198 with a 292gr cast bullet in my .340wby mag. Could easily be having a lot of fun with your .300win with 180 or 200gr loads at about 2000fps and use minimal powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Load the 180s to 2650 FPS and the 150s to 2800 FPS..That's pretty simple, it duplicates a 30-06 or you can even duplicate a 30-30..depending on where and what you hunt..Most loading manuals will get you started.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote