New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 S&W Loads for Lead Bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey everyone, I'm trying to find load data for the 40 S&W using a 155 grain LSWC (Meister hard cast) over either Unique or Green Dot (what I already have). I found data in my old Hodgdon Manual for these powders, but for a jacketed bullet. I've done a search of this forum and tried googling it, with no/little luck. I've also emailed Alliant, but am awaiting a reply. Any suggestions, or favorite loads?

- Ryan

DRSS
NRA Life Member
.500 NE Sabatti

Posts: 40 | Location: Boulder City, NV | Registered: 19 August 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of drewzter
posted Hide Post
I have used 5.6 gr SR 4756 for 180 gr lead RBFP loads
cycle fine in Glock 27 lone wolf barrell
That may be a little low for 155 gr bullet but at least a point of reference. I would not hesitate to try 5.7 or 5.8 myself. Lee manual says Accur #5 6.8gr and zip 5.1 gr

Posts: 14 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 25 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you drewzter. Unfortunately, most of the data that I can find for lead bullets, is for the 180 grainers. I know that I can get new bullets, or new powder, but I'd really like to be able to use what I have, which is Green Dot, and Unique with the 155's. Since the lead bullets build less pressure, and need less powder, what would be a good starting point if using published load data for FMJ?

- Ryan

DRSS
NRA Life Member
.500 NE Sabatti

Posts: 40 | Location: Boulder City, NV | Registered: 19 August 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of drewzter
posted Hide Post
Speer manual has 7.2gr Unique starting for 155gr jacketed. I think you can safely subract 10% for lead. Just make a few to check for cycling and reasonable accuracy. But there is no data for those two powders and 155 gr lead in either the lee or speer manual. I can't see how using Unique could possibly cause a problem. Just start at 6.3 or 10% less than the 7.2 By the way, 8 is the max for the jacketed.

Posts: 14 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 25 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500NitrEx:
either Unique or Green Dot (what I already have). I found data in my old Hodgdon Manual for these powders,

You found data for Alliant powdrs in a Hodgdon Manual? Ya Sure???

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drewzter, thank you for the suggestion. I'll probably start there. Still waiting to hear back from Alliant, so if they tell me something else, I'll be sure to share it here.

Steve4102, I am VERY sure it's a Hodgdon manual. It is an old one though, so it lists Unique and Green Dot as Hercules Powders, and not Alliant. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt though Roll Eyes

- Ryan

DRSS
NRA Life Member
.500 NE Sabatti

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique and Green Dot? Green Dot is almost a "develop the load yourself" powder.
Here is MY compilation from various manuals:
Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Notes PF COL
Lyman 401654 L-SWC 150 Unique 5.0 980 Start 147 1.090
Lead 150 Unique 5.0 1014 Start 152
Lead 153 Unique 5.3 Start 0
L-SWC 155 Unique 5.7 0
Lead 153 Unique 6.0 Max 0
L-SWC 155 Unique 6.0 172
Lead 155 Unique 6.2 1021 Start 158 1.125
Cast 150 Unique 6.2 1210 Max 182
Lyman 401654 L-SWC 150 Unique 6.3 1196 Max 179 1.090
Berry's 155 Unique 6.4 984 153
Lead 155 Unique 6.5 1061 Max 164 1.125
L-RNSWC 155 Unique 6.5 1064 Max 165 1.125

Here is the JACKETED load data I have for Green Dot:
Unknown 155 Green Dot 5.3 Start 0
J-all 150 Green Dot 5.6 1078 Start 162 1.105
JHP 150 Green Dot 5.6 0
Unknown 155 Green Dot 5.8 Max 0
J-all 150 Green Dot 6.2 1175 Max 176 1.105
JHP 150 Green Dot 6.2 1175 176 1.105
JHP 150 Green Dot 6.2 1175 176 1.105

I always start with the lowest starting load.
Referenced loads above seem HOT compared to the data I have.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Lots of good info. I've gone back and rechecked Alliant's website, and still nothing useful. The data that I mentioned from my manual is:

155 JHP
Unique 6.6gr (start) - 7.3gr (max)
Green Dot 5.3gr (start) - 5.8gr (max)

I'm thinking that the data above minus 10% should be safe. Would this be a true statement?

- Ryan

DRSS
NRA Life Member
.500 NE Sabatti

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used jacketed load data for cast bullets since I started handloading in 1980, and have never had an issue. I don't get crazy, but with common sense, I really see no issue. I think that you would be perfectly safe backing down a couple of tenths below minimum with the Green Dot data, loading some up and trying them. Just work up slow!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A starting load is NOT a minimum. I have no idea where this came from since the starting load in one manual can be quite different from another.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay Noylj, suppose I edit my statement to say "I think that you would be perfectly safe backing down a couple of tenths below the starting load data for Green Dot...". Would that make you happy?

I didn't know I was in the presence of a grammar teacher. I believe all who read this knew exactly what I meant.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I always ignore the lead vs jacketed notes in the loading manuals and go by weight; and it always works. Don't over think it; load and shoot. Adjust if necessary.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly new to the forum but your asking about one of my favorite calibers and bullet weights, I ahve been shooting the 40 S&W with Berry's cast bullets in 155 gr for quite some time and have been very happy with the accuracy in my M&P shooting 5.2 gr of Green Dot, recoil is mild but a heads up, Green Dot is a little dirty at this level.
quote:
Originally posted by 500NitrEx:
Hey everyone, I'm trying to find load data for the 40 S&W using a 155 grain LSWC (Meister hard cast) over either Unique or Green Dot (what I already have). I found data in my old Hodgdon Manual for these powders, but for a jacketed bullet. I've done a search of this forum and tried googling it, with no/little luck. I've also emailed Alliant, but am awaiting a reply. Any suggestions, or favorite loads?

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
500Nitrex,

I had a load worked up for 155 JHP using Unique powder that worked real well. Then, no 155 jacketed bullets to be found.

So, I bought some 155 cast bullets from Precision Cast. I tried it with the Jacketed load, and accuracy was not good.

I then reduced the load to 6.7 grs of Unique, seated at 1.125 oal, and I obtained great grouping off the bench, and function was good, also.

I am sure that you can find a good load for the lead semi wad cutters, too. Just tinker with it, and enjoy the shooting!

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Green Dot in my 44 Magnum Winchester 94. Not that that directly helps.

Except that I read on the old Hercules info that Green Dot was developed to be used as a substitute for Red Dot with plastic wads in plastic cases shot gun use so as to deliver equal pressure as did Red Dot loads with fibre wads in paper cases.

So this means, I understood, is that in identical charge weights Green Dot will deliver less pressure than Red Dot. So weight for weight you should be able to use Red Dot info and be safe.

However no responsibility is accepted for this!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 5.3 gr W231 with a 155 cast lead SWC for my Springfield EMP. 1020 fps. out of the 3" barrel. Check the Lyman manual for lead bullet loads with Unique.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a GRAMMAR issue, but a technical issue.
The word minimum means the lowest value--not to go below. The starting load is NOT a minimum--it is generally a "random" 10-12% reduction from the max load and is nothing more than an "assumed" safe place to start for all loading.
However, I was "burned" twice when I started reloading back in the '70s when a manual's start load was either max or over-max in my gun, so I take start loads with a grain of salt and always check multiple sources for the lowest start load.
I can be a grammar nazi, but in this case, the complaint was NOT grammar but the use of the WRONG word, implying that there is a specific MINIMUM load not to load below.
The manual has a start load and a max load, but not a minimum load.
Terms are important. Words mean things.
It is best not to "assume" that others understand what you meant to write--I have not found this assumption to be true.
Going back on source, I find that 145-155gn bullets tend to be the most accurate in various .40s, with lead SWCs being the most accurate in most cases.
Green Dot is a great powder that should be used a lot more, except Alliant doesn't supply load data it.
In the .40, I have found that AA5 is hands-down the single most accurate powder I have tried over the full range of safe charge weights and bullet weights. Next is Silhouette.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The R. Lee data manual list a min of 6.2 grains and Max of 6.5 grains of Unique. That is good data but with an inferior propellant IMO. Have you ever thought of using W231 or PowerPistol? Both of these powders will burn much cleaner than Unique with PowerPistol being the cleanest.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a GRAMMAR issue, but a technical issue. The word minimum means the lowest value--not to go below. Here we go, Grammar Nazi...

The starting load is NOT a minimum--it is generally a "random" 10-12% reduction from the max load and is nothing more than an "assumed" safe place to start for all loading. And you know this exactly how?

However, I was "burned" twice when I started reloading back in the '70s when a manual's start load was either max or over-max in my gun, so I take start loads with a grain of salt and always check multiple sources for the lowest start load. So: you were a newbie at handloading and it was the data at fault, not anything you did wrong. How did you determine this?

I can be a grammar nazi, but in this case, the complaint was NOT grammar but the use of the WRONG word, implying that there is a specific MINIMUM load not to load below. The manual has a start load and a max load, but not a minimum load. Terms are important. Words mean things. It is best not to "assume" that others understand what you meant to write--I have not found this assumption to be true. Do you know anyone who goes below the starting loads in a load manual? Neither do I...

Going back on source, I find that 145-155gn bullets tend to be the most accurate in various .40s, with lead SWCs being the most accurate in most cases. Green Dot is a great powder that should be used a lot more, except Alliant doesn't supply load data it. In the .40, I have found that AA5 is hands-down the single most accurate powder I have tried over the full range of safe charge weights and bullet weights. Next is Silhouette. Well, at least we can agree on something.