THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best source for used dies (225 Win, 6.5x54 MS)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Until now, all our loads (and rifles) have been chambered in our own cartridges, or else in those cartridges that are so commonplace that reloading is hardly economically viable compared to surplus ammo available(308 Win, 223 Rem, 9mm Luger, 45 ACP).

But now we want to look at some other rounds that are commercially loaded but not quite as common, and want to "roll our own".

Of particular interest are the 225 Winchester and the 6.5 x 54 M-S. While dies are available from the larger die makers, we were hoping to save a few pennies and get a used set.

Can anyone recommend a good place to find a used set of either?

Thanks!

[ 08-26-2003, 08:03: Message edited by: MartytW ]

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try www.ebay.com I have had good luck purchasing several calibers of used dies there.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MartytW - eBay is not a bad place to start... we picked up an unused set of RCBS 225's for $17 + 4 shipping, two weeks ago. They arrived promptly and as advertised. We are happy campers.
do shoot straight (otherwise, why bother),
greg

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gmushial:
MartytW - eBay is not a bad place to start... we picked up an unused set of RCBS 225's for $17 + 4 shipping, two weeks ago. They arrived promptly and as advertised. We are happy campers.
do shoot straight (otherwise, why bother),
greg

Crud - I looked on Ebay and did not find them. Bummer ..... [Frown]

Any 225s left on Ebay? Can you provide a link?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you give the Lee RGB dies a look. Brand new dies for $10. Also I just bought a new set of Hornady new deminsion dies for $20 from midsouth shooters.

I have not tried the Lee RGB dies but I bet they are good dies. I like their other dies. They should be better than most used dies.

I have gotten really good stuff from ebay, but I have also received some lumps of rust and crud that was suppose to be dies.

Good luck.

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Thomas:
Why don't you give the Lee RGB dies a look. Brand new dies for $10. Also I just bought a new set of Hornady new deminsion dies for $20 from midsouth shooters.

I have not tried the Lee RGB dies but I bet they are good dies. I like their other dies. They should be better than most used dies.

I have gotten really good stuff from ebay, but I have also received some lumps of rust and crud that was suppose to be dies.

Good luck.

One thing I just don't like about the Lee dies is that tension-split nut method of holding the decapping rod. I have had ZERO luck with those and end up tack welding them in place. I did not see the 225 listed as a RGB from Lee ....

posted Hide Post
Try FMreloading.com. Some of the best prices that I have seen on reloading equipment and it is brand new. I just got some 45-70 dies etc and the shipping was VERY good. [Razz]

Posts: 6 | Location: The great country of south TEXAS | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote