New
Find
Notify
Tools

QuickLoad
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you that use Quickload care to offer up an opinion as to how close it corresponds to actual experiences?

Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Quickload 3.3 and I'm really satisfied; I've had reliable predictions for the following cartridges: 270W, 270 WSM, 308W, 30-06, 300WM and 375H&H. IMO, the main limit of this software comes from the big differences in case capacity between the various manufacturers for the same caliber. I personally measure that capacity for each brand of brass that I use, after which the predictions are much more accurate.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good point. I'm primarily using it for big bore rifles, 333,404,425,470 and 500. There can be a bit of case difference! Thanks for the tip.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had quickload for many years. It has gotten much better with each update. It can never be perfect all the time but in general I find it better than reloading manuals at predicting real world results. I've never gotten in trouble with pressure using qc but I've found out why I've gotten some pressure indications using other data.
Also, it's helped me find accuracy loads for guns via the use of the "barrel time" guesstimates. I like it....I could load without it....but I've spent $150 alot more foolishly......and I would buy it again.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to learn about internal ballistics, get QL. I like it and find it amazingly accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A very valuable tool for reloading and external ballistics. Even some ammo manufacturers here use it for load development.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You all convinced me....I ordered it.
Thanks for all the responses.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a few loads in the log book that I input into QL. It was very close to the notes that I had taken regarding pressure indicators.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pay 10 times as much $ as they ask for QL, if I had to.

Load books seem to be written with slow powders, so it is impossible to get too much powder to even fit in the case.

With QL, one can evaluate any powder in any case.

QL is accurate for bottle necked rifle cartridges, but inaccurate for overloaded straight wall pistol cartridges. It even says in the instructions that that is the case. The excess powder that makes a fire ball with a hot loading of Power Pistol may be estimated by QL to over 1,000,000 psi, as if more of the fire ball burned in the barrel.

QL with Blue Dot and the .223 is very accurate up to when Blue Dot goes peaky. That is to be avoided anyway. If the .223 burns H335 nicely at 60,000 psi, it will burn Blue Dot nicely at 40,000 psi.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have Quickload 3.3 and I'm really satisfied;

+1 but it is what it is… and it is not a substitute for a reloading manual… and IMO a Crono when working up loads…
But is remarkably accurate with my loads & Rifles…