New
Find
Notify
Tools

copper fouling?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I fire 1000 rounds through a barrel at a rate of one an hour,will I experience any appreciable fouling? ie is it only getting a barrel hot that causes copper deposits?
Apparently big naval guns add lead on top of powder charge to remove copper fouling; however they don't experience coppering when firing single rounds slowly.

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sure will

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not completely convinced you could even fire 1,000 rounds without cleaning and still get your gun to function. And yes you will get fouling.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trans-pond, I don't recall the exact specific language right now, but the temperatures and pressures behind the bullet when it is launched down the barrel, basically vaporize jacket material that is 'scraped' off of the bullet when it starts it's journey down the barrel. There it turns into a hot suspension that deposits itself onto the barrel, and especially into any 'rougher' spots in the barrel.

I guess it is easier for this material to 'adhere' to the barrel if it is really hot, but it will adhere, and that's what your copper fouling can be.

A lot of folks more schooled and eloquent than me can probably describe it better, but I think that is the jist.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of my rifles, one shot cold barrel, look into muzzle and I'm gold plated.
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
after 1000rnds in 1 hr you won't even need to clean it. eek2 You simply unscrew it and throw it away jump

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote