Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Barnes XLC expansion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Does anyone know what the velocity to initiate expansion on these blue noses is? Has anyone actually tested this on wet newsprint or a very long shot where velocity has diminished? I heard several reports as well as Jon's 300 RUM 200 gr Accubond/Retumbo ( http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=305391&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1 )post where the XLC did not open up as it should have at a simulated long range velocity.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tech at Barnes told me that all their rifle bullets are made to expand down to 1600 fps, and the pistol/muzzleloader bullets down to 1000 fps.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The tech at Barnes told me that all their rifle bullets are made to expand down to 1600 fps, and the pistol/muzzleloader bullets down to 1000 fps.

That is awesome if in fact applicable in the real world of ballistics.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Pop, in the '98 Handloader article by Gary Scuizietty (I know I butchered that name...), the x-bullet kept opening up down to about 1600 fps. They did not open up all the way, but they did open. The amazing part was that in wet phone books, the distance penetrated was nearly constant over a velocity range from 1600 to 3100 fps. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I think I have seen that article somewhere

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably in Handloader! Sorry, I am A smartass.

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post