New
Find
Notify
Tools

.220 Swift Thoughts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So the other day I decided to load up some 60 grain Sierra HP's, #1375 and had great results, just over a half inch at a hundred on 6 shots. So yesterday I decided to load up some Nosler 60 grain Partitions, hoping I might have similar results especially since the Noslers are actually 2 thousandths shorter then the Sierra's. Well it didn't go well. I used the same load as the Sierra's with the exception of the case. I used Norma's with the Sierra's and Hornady's for the Noslers but I did keep the same case length and the bullets were seated at 10 thousandths off the lands just like the Sierra's. Both OAL's were 2.405 measured at the ogive. The group size was about 3 inches and in somewhat of a circular pattern. Kinda bummed as I was really hoping to use the Partitions for my Deer round this coming season. Any ideas as to why such a discrepency?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, I have had to adjust the powder charge when switching from a bullet like Sierra to the Nosler Partition, as the Partition seems to generate more pressure. In my 8x68S the load that exhibits no pressure signs with a 220-grain Sierra BT stuck cases in the chamber when loaded under a 200-grain Nosler Partition. Lowering the powder charge fixed things.

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My limited experience ( 25/06 and 7 mag) with partitions, has shown them to not be as accurate. I’ve always been able to find a more accurate bullet, but not necessarily a better big game bullet.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a different gun and different load the accuracy of each bullet might be reversed. There is no inherent inaccuracy in the Partition, but your gun simply may not "like" them in the way it does the Sierra.

Regardless, and despite the current fervor over "twist rate", your problem is not twist or stability related to twist, but one or more of a couple of dozen other factors.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrajet:
So the other day I decided to load up some 60 grain Sierra HP's, #1375 and had great results, just over a half inch at a hundred on 6 shots. So yesterday I decided to load up some Nosler 60 grain Partitions, hoping I might have similar results especially since the Noslers are actually 2 thousandths shorter then the Sierra's. Well it didn't go well. I used the same load as the Sierra's with the exception of the case. I used Norma's with the Sierra's and Hornady's for the Noslers but I did keep the same case length and the bullets were seated at 10 thousandths off the lands just like the Sierra's. Both OAL's were 2.405 measured at the ogive. The group size was about 3 inches and in somewhat of a circular pattern. Kinda bummed as I was really hoping to use the Partitions for my Deer round this coming season. Any ideas as to why such a discrepency?

Nosler changed the 60 partition about 15 years ago in .22. I used them to take a couple of eastern whitetails with my Swift and a number of coyotes and they worked great. When I replaced them with new ones they would not shoot worth a damn. Now they say you need a 1 in 12 twist minimum to get them to shoot and its true. I don't know what they did I am thinking the partition location was moved but they wont shoot in a 14 screw anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
they wont shoot in a 14 screw anymore

And just how many different "14 screws" have you tried them in? I suspect that there are plenty of 1-14" barrels that shoot that particular bullet just fine.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
they wont shoot in a 14 screw anymore

And just how many different "14 screws" have you tried them in? I suspect that there are plenty of 1-14" barrels that shoot that particular bullet just fine.

Only one barrel so I guess that does not count going by your criteria. How many 1 in 14 twists have you shot the .22 Nosler partition in and how did they group? Friends Ruger target in 220 with the 2 stage factory trigger won't shoot them either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The group size was about 3 inches and in somewhat of a circular pattern. Kinda bummed as I was really hoping to use the Partitions for my Deer round this coming season.

Just get closer.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipster:
quote:
Originally posted by cobrajet:

Nosler changed the 60 partition about 15 years ago in .22. I used them to take a couple of eastern whitetails with my Swift and a number of coyotes and they worked great. When I replaced them with new ones they would not shoot worth a damn. Now they say you need a 1 in 12 twist minimum to get them to shoot and its true. I don't know what they did I am thinking the partition location was moved but they wont shoot in a 14 screw anymore.

I'm not exactly sure how old my Partitions are but IF I were guessing I'd say at least 10 years old so evidently they just may not work in my 14 but I might try another load or two and see if I get any better results. 'Preciate the info Hipster!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my swift, favorite bullets for deer are the 60 gr. Hornady sp or HP and the great 64 gr. Nosler bonded core, available in seconds at the Nosler seconds shop..accurate and deadly..but most bullets at swift velocity kill deer size game with rib shots, regardless of bullet performance..Ive done a lot of culling with various bullets on small texas whitetail and all of the bullets worked..and never lost a Mule deer either come to think of it..

I don't like the fact that most bullets at those velocities blood shoot a whole side at times..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I love my swift, favorite bullets for deer are the 60 gr. Hornady sp or HP and the great 64 gr. Nosler bonded core, available in seconds at the Nosler seconds shop..accurate and deadly..but most bullets at swift velocity kill deer size game with rib shots, regardless of bullet performance..Ive done a lot of culling with various bullets on small texas whitetail and all of the bullets worked..and never lost a Mule deer either come to think of it..

I don't like the fact that most bullets at those velocities blood shoot a whole side at times..

All of my shots will be head/neck shots unless of course its a big buck that I would mount. Zero meat loss that way!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course under most circumstances..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote