Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Ultramag Press, Reviews?
 Login/Join

posted
Would like to buy my last press, was thinking about about a Redding Ultramag.

Is there any better presses out there?

Not going to load any 50 BMG but am building benchrest and hunting loads for 375 H&H and 338 Lapua and quite a few smaller cartridges

Any recommendations?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ultramag and Rockchucker presses are about neck and neck, but I believe there is a better press for just a few dollars more -the Bonanza Co-Ax. I especially like the adjustable shell holder and top priming features offered by the Co-Ax.
I like Redding's dies and their silky smooth adjustments, but believe Forster's Bonanza bench rest dies are tops in the accuracy department.

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI, I am just starting up as a retailer for both Redding and Forster. It's a mail order side business for my family. If you are willing to work with me to get my first few orders/buying minimums, and are not in a real hurry (read I want it right now-off the shelf), I can help you or any of the other guys out with a good deal on anything from these two companies. This is not my primary business (custom stockmaking is), so my overhead is not an issue. Of course I want to make a bit of spending money in the deal but you would be helping me out as well and would get a good deal for doing so. Let me know. ----trezandjolie@yahoo.com---- or PM me.

I'm known around here and have a very significant desire to continue a great reputaion so no worries there. If you want to check me out. Look me up on the American Custom Gunmakers Guild site. http://acgg.com/ under members. This is a juried in membership that includes ethical business practices and a breach in this area would cost me dearly. It won't happen.

Rant rave.... Roll Eyes Roll EyesI won't be undersold!!! Big Grin OH BROTHER.... It'd be great if we can help each other out.

Whatever you go with I hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the ultimate in accuracy from regular style dies and presses, go with Forster dies, and the Forster Bonanza Co-Ax press. If you will be doing a fair amount of reforming of brass, and/or you will be loading the big boys (460 Weatherby, 416 Rigby, etc.), go with the Ultra Mag. I'm in complete agreement with the above posters.

I have one of each of the above presses, and love them both for what their strong points are.

I try to use Forster dies first, but Reddings run a very close second. They are also available in a much wider selection of calibers.

Soooooo,

Define your need, then buy your press.
Trez knows his stuff, and has the confidence and energy of youth. He'll take good care of you.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely LOVE my Forster Co-Ax, but if you are looking to load .375 H&H length (and up) calibers, go with a bigger press. The Co-Ax will handle .375 H&H length cartridges, but there is too much wiggling to get everything to fit, and it takes too much time.

My choice for long cases would be one of the Redding presses.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Larry in reply to your PM,
To prevent any misunderstandings could you please go to the Forster web site and pick out the specific dies/products you want and specify their part number for me.

Forster site

Redding's site is.

Redding

I can give you 40% off of retail (retail total times .6) for Redding and still make a bit of spending money. For Forster, there just isn't a huge mark up so I can do 20% off (retail total times .8) for them.

As for the availablity, I will make the purchase direct from the factory, so if they have it, it should be a fairly quick turn around. I will see if they can drop ship it to you to make it quicker. Let me know.

This discount can be used by others on this site as well, if any are interested.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a Co-Ax and a Redding Ultramag Press. I load my 338 Lapua's on the Ultramag. The Co-Ax is a great press that I use for most of my loading but for the long calibers I prefer the longer press...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my mind, the drawback to the UltraMag is ergodynamics. If you don't need the power or the extra 5/16 inch of ram travel that the UltraMag affords, the Big Boss is of a more convenient configuration. My personal preference would be the T-7 turret press for loading multiple cartridges, but you may prefer the single-stage press for benchrest.

Any of these presses is of unsurpassed quality.