Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case prep
 Login/Join

posted
I am starting to get a dimple/depression on the shoulder of the cases when I full length resize them. At first I thought it was an accumulation of case lube but I switched dies and calibers and used almost no lube and got the same results. What's Up?
Also, are Black Hills Match cases the same as Winchester cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are not very specific are you?

What caliber?
What lube?

"Are Black hills cases the same as Winchester?"

I would guess that Black Hills buys cases from the lowest bidder against a performance spec. So, in all the Black Hills calibers and all the cases that Black Hills sells, maybe Winchester made a few. I have Black Hills .223 Match that is every case head stamp because they used once fired brass. So, I guess that means it is the same as Winchester. Once or twice a box.

posted Hide Post
Specifics:
308 caliber, Lee die, RCBS press, RCBS lube-2
300 Weatherby Mag, Redding die, RCBS press and lube.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
possible too much lube, you only need a real small ammount.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe some dies have a vent hole in them to let the air out when sizing...if its plugged up it will cause the air to get trapped and the result is your dent. Take the die apart and clean it with some solvent...making sure to also remove the solvent as well.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you clean out your die with a solvent and/or degreaser it's a good idea to recondition the pores of the metal inside the die by wiping it down with lube and then with a dry towel. If you don't even a lubed case can take a lot of pressure to resize.
It's usually better just to wipe out the interior of the die with a paper towel so you don't strip the metal of lube.
I learned this the hard way Smiler.

Some lubes are more prone to gathering at the shoulders, RCBS is one of them. Also as mentioned dies without vent holes are more susceptable. The Dillon Spray on lube seems to be less liable to dent shoulders than many others I've tried (plus it's way easy to use)...........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldpace:
Specifics:
308 caliber, Lee die, RCBS press, RCBS lube-2
300 Weatherby Mag, Redding die, RCBS press and lube.

Last I heard you don't need any lube on the neck (and expecially) the sholder, and not a lot further down or it will squish up into the neck area.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With some dies I must slightly wipe every case neck/shoulder with a towel, to remove most of the lubricant, otherwise I get dimples, especially with my RCBS 300WM FL die.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this a problem that has just cropped up suddenly?

Barring the buildup of lube being the cause, as those above have suggested, and not knowing in what manner you operate your press handle, see if slowing down the case resizing operation helps.

Also, a change in sizing lube to Imperial Sizing Die Wax might prove helpful. You use so little of it that it's almost impossible to get lube dents on the case shoulder.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks , yes the problem has just started. I am new to reloading and have only resized about 300 cases. I do probably work the handle too fast. I will try slowing it down and changing lubes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give the die a cleaning also.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With some dies I must slightly wipe every case neck/shoulder with a towel, to remove most of the lubricant, otherwise I get dimples, especially with my RCBS 300WM FL die.

I totally agree with this as my experience is has been the same. I have sized tens of thousands of .223, 308, and 30-06 cases using RCBS water soluble case lube. I tumble the cases with a wet lube patch. Then I wipe each case with a paper towel around the shoulder and neck. If I do not, I get dimples. And, per my measurements, it reduces case neck runnout.