Find
Notify
Tools

Seating depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted
I'm having my CZ Short Action Sporter .243 re barreled in .260 Rem. I bought it with that intention. I chose the short action over the long action because only the short action has a removable box magazine. So, the longest OAL I can achieve is 2.9" I don't have the new barrel on yet but I think that I can safely say that this OAL won't allow the ogive to come in contact with the lands on cambering a cartridge. I'm assuming that I will have a window of from 2.75" to 2.85" of seating depth. Should I bother to find a sweet spot in that range? I plan on crimping my loads. I've found that it increases consistency. What experience have you all had reloading for short action rifles?

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are having a new barrel put on why don't you have the smith cut the chamber for the length of the ammunition you are loading.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
Would he have to have a reamer made just for that?

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, you just need a throater ($50) and he can make the throat as long as you want.
Another reason I do not use short actions for anything. I build everything on long actions, even 308 length cartridges. It solves a multitude of problems/issues/concerns/desires. Yes they still feed fine.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
CZ doesn't make a long action sporter with a detachable magazine. And I didn't want a Mannlicher stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just load to your magazine length and you'll be fine. If you're worried about over length, just load a dummy round to magazine length and blacken the bullet with a magic marker. Chamber the round and when you remove it, if there's not copper showing through the blackening, you're good to go.
Thing to remember is he HAS a short action so he has to work with what he's got. I've rebarreled two 788s from .243 to 260 w/o any problems.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
I find that a Stony Point gauge is better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I plan on crimping my loads. I've found that it increases consistency.

Really? I wonder why the benchrest crowd hasn't caught onto this trick. No telling how small they could make their groups if only they knew to crush the case mouth into the bullet jacket.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Really? I wonder why the benchrest crowd hasn't caught onto this trick. No telling how small they could make their groups if only they knew to crush the case mouth into the bullet jacket.

Most people only crimp a couple of thousandths. (reductio ad absurdum ?)

My 22.250AI and my 243's 1,000 yard loads showed lower standard deviations and better grouping using the Lee factory crimp dies set at a minimum crimp.

I use it on my 375 H&H with the Barnes bullets since I don't crimp in the relief groove of the bullet for recoil. It also showed a measurable improvement in group sizes at 300 yards with the Barnes 230 grain and 300 grain bullets and the CEB Raptor 235 grain bullets.

I didn't see any improvement in the long range loads from my 6.5x284 or 260 though so I don't use it on them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

When I shot 1000 yd BR I loaded bullets with .010” jam into the rifling. You obviously don’t crimp bullets you want to jam. On almost everything else I use a Lee Crimp die.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple with a long throat, seat the bullet .260 deep into the case..Same with any caliber..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We only use two seating depths.

Maximum for the cartridge, or the longest that will fit in the magazine.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We only use two seating depths.

Maximum for the cartridge, or the longest that will fit in the magazine.

^^^^^ this

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote