THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Crusher II vs. RCBS Rockchucker Supreme.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just broke my Lee press, while forming some 416 Taylor brass from .338 Win Mag's.
I'm into bying a new one, and have come up with two options. But I would like to hear what you guys think would be the best one for me.
( I reload some long ones to, like 460wby, and 338RUM.)

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hi Arild,

I gave my Rockchucker to my son and replaced it with the Lyman Crusher. If I had to do it again, then I'd stay with the Rockchucker. The Lyman works just fine, but there is a pin holding the arms to the frame and it tends to move out of it's hole and rub on the frame. It is easily fixed by just tapping it back in--but it is an irritation. I never had any such trouble with the RCBS press.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I don't have either of those presses but I do have the predecessors to both, the Lyman Orange Crusher and the standard Rockchucker. I believe the only thing that changed on the Crusher II is the color. The new Rockchucker has a taller opening but the same linkage and handle. Either handle the longest cartridges I load, which include several big bores. The openings of either have never been an issue.

One major irritation I find with the linkage of the Rockchucker is that the arm is quite close to the press. When you use a collet bullet puller, the arm hits the T-handle of a puller unless you mess with it to adjust it so that it is parallel to the movement of the arm. I've gotten to where I seldom use my Rockchucker. In addition, in checking runout of the rams, the Lyman has the least runout of any of the various presses I have or have had, which is a cumulative .002". If I had it to do over again I'd stick with Lyman.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RCBS

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rockchucker!

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get an Ammomaster.They aren't that much, and
then you can do cases all the way up to huge.
Great strength for case forming.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
I bought a Crusher II for Nitro Express rounds which were too long for my old Rockchucker to handle without unscrewing the seating die to remove the loaded round. I found that there was slight misalignment between the ram and the threaded hole for the die in the Crusher II, and the linkage was pretty sloppy. I then bought a Rockchucker Supreme, and it is much better aligned, and there is no slop in the linkage. The only disadvantage to the Rockchucker Supreme is that there is no automatic primer feed available, and the priming post is a bit of a pain to use (guess it's not a problem if you use a hand priming tool, but for nitro express rounds choices in hand priming tools are limited).

Bottom line-both have shortcomings, but I much prefer the Rockchucker Supreme for it's better precision and fit. (I made the mistake of trying the large size Midway press before either of these two, and after sending it back twice, none of the three Midway presses were close to alignment between the ram and die, so the last of those resides on the storage shelf with the Crusher II [Frown] .) I still use my old Rockchucker most of the time for standard length calibers.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote