New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7mm Rem Mag & 30,06 Comparison..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The point-blank-range is significantly different when you compare a 7mm Remington shooting handloaded 140-grain Noslers against the common 30-06 rounds.

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
At ranges over 300 yards shooting at deer and other light game the 7mm has an edge. Shooting larger animals, moose and elk for instance, at less than 250 yards the .30-06 with heavier bullets, 180 grain and up, is a fair bit better than the 7mm.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Assuming that you have practiced to the point of knowing your capabilities and range limitations, I doubt there is any significant difference. If you are a handloader, the difference just disappeared, if you put some powder thru your choice. Don't get me wrong, there are differences, but the biggest factor IMHO will be the shooter. If you can't hit it with one, you won't with the other. Again, JMHO.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Shooting larger animals, moose and elk for instance, at less than 250 yards the .30-06 with heavier bullets, 180 grain and up, is a fair bit better than the 7mm.

Yup, 7mm bullets top out at 175 grains, and I don't like the recoil from bigger bullets anyway. I like the smaller 140 grain Noslers. So far they've been enough, but I haven't shot anything bigger than a cow elk with them. My father likes 30-06 with 180 grain Remingtons, hasn't used anything else since middle 60s.

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ3006
Don't give to much undeserved credit to the 7mmSTW. It took me almost a whole summer to find a load for my #1B (with a 26 inch barrel) which would come close to 3200 fps. My present load is a 160 Sierre SBT or 162 Hornady BTSP at 3185 fps. I have added more powder but the Chrony does not show the appropriate velocity increase.
I agree that no game animal would know the difference between the 7mm at 3200 fps or a 30 cal 165 gr at 3000 fps. And it is just as easy to learn the trajectory curve for one as for the other.
You would not believe how many arguments have occured over the lunch table at work about this very subject. Usually the argument is settled by bringing out the ballistics tables.
I sold a very accurate 30-06 and bought the STW, not to kill game deader, but to cure boredom. I just needed a new gun for which to do load developement.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot both, and I don't think there's a dimes worth of difference between them for "normal" hunting ranges of 200yds or so. The only time the 7mag has any real benefit is when you go past 300yds, and you're using heavy, high BC bullets loaded pretty warm.

Posts: 20 | Location: KY | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt I'll ever see a difference in the 7 WSM I bought and the 30-06. That's exactly why I bought it, to own something in the same class as the o'l reliable 06 instead of actualy having something chambered in that boring old cartridge.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote