New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 case neck problem
 Login/Join

<Martin Kay>
posted
I am using a Lee neck size/deprimer die, Lapua brass and Lapua Scenar 95gr bullets. About 25% of my cases have very low tension after sizing, allowing the bullet to move in and out of the case to the point where it is unshootable due to uncontrolled OAL. When case neck tension is ok the load I am using is fine, and as accurate as I can shoot. Any advice?

------------------
Martin Kay

<gone hunting>
posted
are you useing the Lee Collet die? if you are you have 2 options
remove the decaping rod/ sizeing manderal and #1 chuck it up in a lathe and remove .001" at a time till you have the neck tennsion you need or # 2 send it back to Lee and have them do it.
i have heard of people sanding the rod in a drill press till it's small enough. Lee may also send you a rod the size you need.

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
If the Lee die you're using is a conventional die with and expander, take it out, measure, and polish it down to reduce the diameter a couple of thousands.

It's likely your neck walls on the Lapua brass are thinner than the domestic US brass which are the standard for the die dimensions. Measure your sized necks before seating a bullet, then measure after seating one. The difference should be a consistent .002". If it's less than that, polish the expander button down. You can chuck it in a drill press or hand held drill and rotate it on 400 grit sand paper to get the dimension necessary.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote