New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a QUICKY!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the Speer 52 gr. HPBT MATCH Bullet an OK prariedog bullet?? Meaning---?? will it open up on contact as does a Horn. 50 gr. V-MAX or Nosler 50 gr. BT. The designation of match does not mean not varmit, I hope. ( as these are awesome wicked or is that wicked awesome ) accurate in my 22-250. thanx, Doc Stone

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Although I don't use the Speer, the Sierra 52 HPBT in my .22-250's turns prairie dogs into red mist...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the answer much. , but the question is: since it is a "Match bullet" does that mean it is not meant for actual hunting i.e. prariedogs. PS. Riccardelli: would you plese answer my other post regarding straight . bullet seating. You got the expertise to enlighten. thanx, Doc Stone Some have said all labeled Match bullets anre meant for just that and will ricochet??spelling?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what the bullet mfg's say, near as I can tell, match bullets are made for target shooting accuracy. In the real world, I'd say it comes down to what one considers a "target", and how accurate that bullet is, and/or how it performs when it impacts the selected "target".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shoot a P dog with a .22 hollow point bullet and you have one dead dog.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
B-Man, Since you are the resident expert on sugar bags and p-dogs. Could you kindly direct me to a good contact or outfitter in SD for a shoot as I would fly into Pierre. Needs to be soon as Summer Heat is getting here. thanx, Doc Stone

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Voldoc,
I've never been in a prarie dog town where a ricohet was even a consideration. If thats what worked best in my rifle I would use the "match" bullet without hesitation and have done so on many occasions. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I may be (in your estimation) the resident expert on sugar sacks and P dogs but my knowledge of SD is woefully limited. I did all my shooting in Wy on private ranches. I never went thru an outfitter tho and, in fact, find the idea rather funny. Although I can see their worth if you haven't the time to do the research yourself. I would drive up to the ranch house -preferably in the evening- and ask if they had any shootable sage rats. As a rule, they were more than glad to have you thin them out. They'd give you the lay of the land, the limits of their holdings (big takes on a whole new meaning in Wy),the town locations and any rules they may have. Usually they could/would help you out with other ranchers that were receptive to dog shooters too. I've offered to pay but never had anyone accept money; altho they did appreciate the couple of quarts of honey I'd give them. If you acted right, after a couple of trips, you'd maybe be told "you don't have to ask, just let me know you're on the place." Then, if they weren't home, you could just leave a note and the honey, virginia ham, fifth or case on the porch. Be sure and put the ham where the dogs -every rancher has several- can't get it.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote