THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: 7x57 load experience..with 140-160 gr. bullets

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7x57 load experience..with 140-160 gr. bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
40 grains of IMR 3031 gives me the most accuracy of all powders I ever tried in my Rugers! I use that load of 40 grains with bullet weights of 139 grain to 175 grain.

With a 160 grain Speer in my Winchester, with 38 grains of RL 7 also does an excellent job.

Cheers and happy holidays
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks, Ray: I really don't know what I have yet...I just
bought the rifle at a Cody Gun Show & haven't checked it out yet...I used to do gunsmithing when younger...so can find out all about it eventually. Its modern (maybe 1984 or
so)...an Interarms Rifle...Yugoslavia mark X Mauser type action, Mannlicher Stock, 20 " barrel. Pretty nice overall,
only used very little...metal just perfect.
I was kinda interested in experience of reloaders as I find a lot of different opinions...
I'll get back to you later..
Thanks for reply, Tom

Tom, I shoot an almost identical rifle to yours, except it is a Husqvarna. Fullstock with a 20.75" (52 cm) barrel. 50 grains of WW760 with a 150 grain Nosler Partition chronoed at 2831 fps. But, a more accurate loading was 49 grains of WW760 with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2741 fps. This loading produced a 3 shot group at 5/8ths" which is my personal best. For comparison, the Norma factory load for the 150 grain bullet chronoed at 2676 fps in the same rifle with sub MOA groups. The standard deviation for the velocity for all 3 of these loadings was 9 to 11 fps. The Remington factory 140 grain bullet loading (advertised 2660 fps) chronoed at 2403 fps with a standard deviation of 92 fps! All the data above was for 3 shot groups.

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay I was at the deer lease. The program reads right at 2600 for 50 grs Rl22 and a 20" at 55,000.

I was given my copy when they added a couple of my wildcats but, it is available at www.aement.com/

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for input, Steve (sbhva)...I've gotten a lot of opinions all over the map! I didn't realize there was that much interest in this fine cartridge..I'll try your advice,
I like the bit about low standard deviation. I always look
for that...I like the Husqvarna...I have a bruiser in .358 Norma Magnum...and get accuracy as good as I can shoot it!
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ramrod 340...I ordered the Loadtech program, I assume it comes in a floppy disk? They didn't say...I have an older one by a ballistician named "Vancini" called "Best Load". Its worked pretty well for me, may be a little outdated...1990 vintage. I like to pre test loads on computer, to narrow down the choices, then go ahead & experiment...like some posters have said, each rifle is different...for sure...but so far the replies I've gotten
suggest the 7X57 will do well with a lot of powders...however, there will be some better than others...
lower pressures, higher velocities, fill the case 100% for the same velocity,accuracy. So, its great to have a survey from the experience of other shooters...thanks to all!
Thanks again for the replies! Mucho appreciated! Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Mine was on a CD. You might want to check.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bisonland: I have a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and my brother and his friend both own CZ 500 FullStocks in 7x57mm. I only shoot 160 grain bullets in my rifle and handload the same for my brother's rifle. Mine has a 23.5 inch barrel and his a 20.5 inch tube. Unfortunately, CZ stopped manufacturing the 7x57mm in its caliber lineup, which I feel is their loss and the shooting public's loss as it is one hell of a cartridge. My load is 48.3 grains of H414 behind a Nosler Partition 160 grain bullet producing 2,815 fps in my rifle and the same load producing 2,745 fps in my brother's rifle. I think the higher than normal velocity might be, because the load testing was done in El Paso, Texas, in heat that would fry the ass off a rattlesnake. When I chronographed the same load a bit before elk season here in New Mexico it was pushing along at 2,765 fps, for a 50 fps loss, but then the temperature was about 60 degrees less too, so that might make a hell of a difference. The Noslers were going into a nice little .75 inch group, however, you have to seat them way, way out in my rifle as it has a very long throat. My brother's little 20.5 inch tube rifle was shooting in the .75 inch range as well. I also shoot the Hornady SSTs in 162 grain seated to .01 inch from the lands and that load puts three shots into a group less than a half inch if I do my part, with my rifle. My brother's rifle hates Hornady bullets by the way, but his friend's rifle, exactly the same as my brother's, loves them too. Go figure! I use my little 7mm for elk here in New Mexico when I draw out, antelope when I draw out, mule deer, whitetail deer in Texas, hogs in Texas. I shoot it a lot, like more than 500 rounds a year just putzing around and punching holes in paper. The little 7x57mm is one awesome round, especially since the darn thing was developed in 1892. My hunting buddy here in Grants, N.M., has a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57mm. It likes 46 grains of H4350 and the 150 grain Nosler Partition and it pumps them along at 2,645 fps. I hope you enjoy your 7x57 as I do mine, and a whole host of others do theirs. Good Luck. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoa, Dude. That load is way hot!!!!!!!!! Are you insured? Please keep it safe. Those loads are damn near 7mag velocities with a longer barrel! If you want a mag, buy a mag. just a word of warning, capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree with Captdave. You are getting those velocities because you are over pressure. Loadtech won't even allow me to use that load. Your pressure is over 70,000 if you are getting those velocities.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom Purdom: This may be a little 'off topic'but I've heard
of accuracy problems with a full stock rifle,
like the Mannlicher Type stock...it seems you
don't have any problems..my full stock is the
first I've had, so don't know as of now.
Any comments from you or anyone else looking
at this thread...
Thanks, Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bisonland: I do not own the fullstock rifle, my brother Duffy owns one and his buddy saw his, had to have one and got one too, both in 7x57mm. Duffy has no problem with his CZ 550 Fullstock. With 160 gtrain Nosler Partitions and H414 he gets sub minute of angle groups. I loaded some 162 grain Hornady SSTs into some Remington cases with H414 for his buddy. He uses his rifle and load to shoot the heads off of the wild turkey they have in Texas. I think CZ uses stock blanks that are properly dried. There is no shifting with either of the CZs in the fullstock model that I am aware of. As far as me being overpressure with the 48.3 grains of H414 and the 160 grain partition, Lyman lists 47.3 grains of H414 and the 162 grain Hornady as book max and that load is 43,600 CUP. In my rifle, the CZ 550 American in 7x57mm, I was getting 2,815 fps, however, the cartridges were very hot from the El Paso, Texas, heat in the summer. The CZs have a very, very long throat and the bullets have to be seated way, way out. My overall length with the partition is 3.237 inches and that still leaves me with .067 inches before I hit the lands. There is no heavy bolt lift, the primers still fit tight in the cases and I get about 6 to 7 relaods before the cases are dumped. That same load in New Mexico is a tad slower. All I know is, the thing is disgustingly accurate in my CZ, but my rifle is a new one, not an old military one. My brother shot some 140 grain factory loads in his fullstock and said they were accurate, but he gave no further details. I have never shot anything but handloads in my CZ with a 23.5 inch barrel and noting smaller than 160 grains. If I were you, I'd just go ahead and shot your 7x57mm and enjoy the hell out of it. If you start having problems, then worry about it. If it were me, though, I'd find out the barrel twist rate and shoot bullets accordingly. I know some folks on this site do not think twist rates matter much, hoever, my opinion differs. My rifle and my brother's rifle has a 1x8.66 twist rate. I had a Ruger Mark 11 and a Model 77, and both were 1x9.5 twist rate. Anyway, have a blast with your rifle Bisonland. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote