THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shed some light on the Interbond situation?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
The one .284" 139gr Interbond that I recovered had the "petals' folded back beyond the base. Mushroom was .782" across.

Penetration was quartering all the way through a mature Whitetail that would have went over 200#s live weight.

The bullet was against the femur under the hide on the off side, after penetrating the meaty part of the shoulder, lungs, liver, stomach, intestines and the meat of the hind leg. Doesn't sound like "limited penetration" to me.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the Hornady Interlock and SST bullets in almost all of my rifles. I love the bullets that Hornady are producing. Last fall I shot my moose with a .458 350gr. Hornady RN Interlock out of my 45-70. The bullet was placed right behind the front shoulder. Completely gelled almost every vital organ, the bullet was recovered in the opposite side in the hide.

Expansion was .458 to .898 (WoW)
Weight Retention from original weight of 350 to 332gr.
Perfect mushroom.

I'm getting the same results..Quick, clean kills with superb accuarcy for way less than Nosler or Barnes.

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did some expansion tests with the interbond,(165 .30 caliber), last summer. There's a write up on this website under Hornady interbond expansion tests or key my user name and look for it. What I found is it penetrated 20+ inches of water filled milk jug, ending up in the third jug end to end every time.

What most people fail to take into account is the extra retained weight will carry the bullet through even though it is "PANCACKED". I would much rather have a large frontal expansion than what I've seen from the Nozler accubond.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that has changed with the Hornady Interbond since its Introduction is the discontinued LOADED AMMO in the 308 Win. Ammo. The bullet does the same as the pictures Grizz has shown many times now. You did read JJHack"s fun filled adventure to Africa using the Interbonds didn't you.? If not E-mail me and I will send it to you. They will have the 180gr in the 30 cal. and the 225gr in the 338 later this summer. I got my elk first day, 7stw 3530av.fps with the 139gr IB through the sweet spot behind the shoulders just in under the spine. Total pass through. Hit entering rib and passed in between rib's on exit side. That elk had an abscess between the front legs and I got another tag. Took an old friend out to get his elk last day Jan-31-04. He was not able to hit any thing with his gun up until that last day, he used mine. He shot it dead center in the hind quarters standing side ways from us with the 7stw and the 139gr IB. It dropped and tried to get up and he was so shocked as it was his first elk, I had to shot it again for him. The blood shot was not as bad as I had seen with the 139 out of my 7mag or a 165gr out of a 06. But it was a complete pass through with the exit hole just the same size as a Silver Dollar-1 3/4 of an inch you might say maybe?

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Sounds good so far. However look at the Accubond vs the Interbond. Which would penetrate more? Tis is what I am concerned with. This one struck at 3200 fps 30 cal 200 gr.

BTW. I have used the 180 Scirocco from the 300 RUM. Terrible performance...looked like a frisbee.... and this was on an antelope doe at 225 yds!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The only thing that has changed with the Hornady Interbond since its Introduction is the discontinued LOADED AMMO in the 308 Win. Ammo. The bullet does the same as the pictures Grizz has shown many times now. You did read JJHack"s fun filled adventure to Africa using the Interbonds didn't you.? If not E-mail me and I will send it to you. They will have the 180gr in the 30 cal. and the 225gr in the 338 later this summer. I got my elk first day, 7stw 3530av.fps with the 139gr IB through the sweet spot behind the shoulders just in under the spine. Total pass through. Hit entering rib and passed in between rib's on exit side. That elk had an abscess between the front legs and I got another tag. Took an old friend out to get his elk last day Jan-31-04. He was not able to hit any thing with his gun up until that last day, he used mine. He shot it dead center in the hind quarters standing side ways from us with the 7stw and the 139gr IB. It dropped and tried to get up and he was so shocked as it was his first elk, I had to shot it again for him. The blood shot was not as bad as I had seen with the 139 out of my 7mag or a 165gr out of a 06. But it was a complete pass through with the exit hole just the same size as a Silver Dollar-1 3/4 of an inch you might say maybe?

How far was the elk when you shot it from your 7 STW? Basically I am looking for impact velocity here.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote