New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northfork bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone here care to comment on Northfork Bullets, both their accuracy and performance on game. I'm particularly interested in 140 gr .284 caliber.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you do a search you will find lots of opinions. I have never seen a negative one...... The only, very minor, issue is that they aren't the most streamlined of the bunch, but their accuracy and performance more than make up for that. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I just bought some for my .404. It's a great looking bullet, stay tuned for reports. If they shoot well, I may get some 140/.284 to try in my .280 as well.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be useing North Forks 250gr .358's in Africa in just over 2 weeks. Watch Hunt Reports here at the end of april for my experience.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know how they penetrate. It sounds like they shoot, the BC doesn't bother me, but do they make two holes very often?

Chuck

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

"I would like to know how they penetrate. It sounds like they shoot, the BC doesn't bother me, but do they make two holes very often?"

CHUCK,That is the same question I have been asking for along time, I even E-mailed them about this. I was told that they penetrate, more when at a higher FPS.So I guess that maybe a problem at longer distances and the fact they open up at around 2100 fps, I wonder myself?,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They shoot damn well, penetrate better than any other lead core bullet, and give higher velocities than any other bullet that I have tried. I test bullets constantly and the Northfork's are always at the top of the heap. For penetration in an expanding bullet, the list almost always goes like this:
1)Lost river
2)Winchester Fail Safe
3)Groove
4)Barnes "X"
5)Northfork
6)Trophy bonded
7)Nosler Partition
8)swift A-Frame

1-4 are subjective as one of the four always wins the test. 5-8 are the same, one is as good as another, though the Northfork tends to give higher velocity and less fouling. Thats how it stacks up in my test media and rifles. Your results may vary, but not by much I bet.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gone back and read all the posts on these bullets. The BC situation is of some concern to me. A little explanation is in order. The gun for which I'm considering these bullets is for Ibex. It is a very real likelihood that I will have to take rather long shots, i.e. 300 to 400+ yards, and in windy conditions. Ibex, of course, are rather tough critters, and their size isn't great, plus some hunts will include Chamios, which definitly provide a small, often distant, target. I have been using Barnes XLC bullets, and while I am a strong beleiver in these bullets and will continue to use them in most all other guns and applications, Barnes bullets of course aren't famous for accuracy, but I feel they are plenty adequate regarding hunting accuracy in most situations out to 250 or so yards, but the accuracy beyond 250 yards concerns me in this application. That is why I'm looking at a new bullet--long range accuracy. Due to all things considered, and regarding the low BC of the Northforks, I am leaning heavily towards the Barnes Triple Shock, provided they give me the desired long range accuracy, because they have a superior BC and hence should be better in the wind at long range. What thinks you all?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would at least give the TSX a try. I have heard lots good about them (accuracy wise), and have a small stash of them awaiting the completion of a Leeper rifle.

Chuck

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Arts, why not give the Nosler Acc.bond or Hornady Interbonds a try? I have been shooting the 160grNAB in my .280 & am impressed w/ the accuracy out @ the 300yd mark.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I definitely have considered the Accubond, but haven't been able to find much experience with it (140 gr .284). The Interbond isn't quite the quality I want, performancewise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arts,

neither ibex nor chamois are large, heavily boned animals. they do not require one of those premium super penetrators.

given their mountaineous above-tree-line habitat it is very unlikely that you'll ever shoot one a point blank distance, so you are not going to overstress the bullet with a high impact velocity.

I have been both ibex and chamois hunting a time or two, and in my opinion you should choose, above all, an accurate bullet. if it happens to be one of those partitions, bonded cores, etc, so much the better.

but I would concentrate on accuracy.

regards,

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Arts

At long ranges you want a bullet that will open even if the velocity is low. I would recommend a ordinary partition or accubond. Accuracy is important. Barnes etc. is best to use at larger critters.

I know a few hunters who had great sucess on ibex, sheeps, reindeer, chamois and billy goat with ballistic tips and nosler partitions in 6.5,6.8 or 7mm.

Hornady interbond might be worth testing. It should be the same as accubond. It's not the price of the bullets that is important but the performance. Make sure you practice shooting in field positions and working out before you go. Lots of high mountains and climbing

Good luck

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
ARTS ----- You shoot the North Fork bullet enough to make your decision. Your rifle will make the choice. You will never shoot a better all around bullet than the North Fork if your barrel likes it, all of mine like them with no exceptions. I shoot it in my 7mm STW, .300 Win Mag, .340 Wby, .358 STA, .416 Rem and Rigby. It normally shoots better than all the others, regardless of distance. I have shot the following, Nosler Partition and Partition Gold, Barnes X and XLC, Swift A-Frame, TBBC, Kodiak. In accuracy the North Fork is equal to or better than them all. In toughness and mushrooms they have no pier. Don't listen to the BC talk, shoot them and then decide for yourself. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that Chamios aren't tough critters, but Ibex are, or at least sometimes they are, even though they are relatively small. My only concern regarding the BC is the fact that 400 yard + shots are not rare for Ibex, and everywhere I've hunted them (several), it has been windy. I agree, accuracy regarding this type of shooting is the key, but BC is a factor with the distance and near certain wind. You guys have all been helpful--Thanks!!!

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've gone back and read all the posts on these bullets. The BC situation is of some concern to me. A little explanation is in order.

Yup. The Northfork design is a valid one...but the BC is similar to a brick! Same as the Swift A-Frames. I will not use them.

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anybody wants a box and a half of 30 cal. 180 gr. Northforks, I'll sell them to you for $30 plus shipping. I'm sure their terminal performance is as good or better than any other bullet out there, but I just haven't been able to get them to shoot in my .300 Wby Sako. Just send me a PM if interested.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote