New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this common?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got started loading a couple years or so ago with a Lee Anniversary kit. It has seemed to do the job OK, but I finally decided that the powder scale was just too much trouble to work with and bought a Redding #2. I used it for the first time today and it was much better than the previous outfit. However I discovered to my consternation as I was loading that the Redding was consistently weighing charges at around .2gr less than the Lee. At first I thought the difference might be the warmer temperatures I was working in, so when I finished I set up the Lee(which I still have) and weighed a single charge on both scales. Sure enough, .2gr difference.

I wasn't too pleased about the situation, since this particular load is near maximum and I have to make sure it's right. Is it common for scales by different manufacturers to disagree? Is this impossible to avoid?

one of us
posted Hide Post
In answer to your first question, yes. As to the second, yes, maybe. 2 tenths of a grain is a small fraction of most loads and probably not discernable in the finished product, unless you're loading the .25 ACP or other small capacity case. If I understood correctly your new press is dropping charges that are .2 LESS than the old. That would be construed as safer by most. I do NOT throw or allow bushings to measure Maximum charges for any of my loads because I don't really trust them to that degree. I'm not familiar with your equipment so I may be misinterpreting what you said.

What cartridge are you reloading, and what is your load?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.2 grains is not out of bed for two scales to differ. I have an RCBS 5-0-5 scale that I have used for about two years and recently purchased an RCBS Micro Pro digital. I compared the two and they were within .1 grain. I go with the digital since it has calibration weights and I can recalibrate if the weights indicate slightly off on the display.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Most of the scales sold by reloading tool companies claim +/- .1 gr accuracy. It appears you`ve one thats measuring +.1 and one measuring -.1. I own two RCBS scales (a old 505 & a 10-10) both seem to agree on a given weight. I also have a Pact digital that shows a .1 variation at some weight ranges from the beam scales.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan; thanks for your input. It's the scale that differs, rather than the measure. Since this load is close to maximum, I usually weigh the first ten charges or so to make sure I'm OK, then every once in awhile thereafter. Indeed .2gr under would be safer, but it was awhile before I realized what was happening, and so I began using a slower stroke with the measure, trying to get the charges up where I wanted them. I'll be OK, but some of the charges will be a little on the warm side.

This is a .357mag. load, and I try to keep it between 16 and 16.2gr. The powder is vv N110.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that these are both scales that use small weights that you move along the arms, 0.2 grains isn't much of a difference.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote