New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading for 45/70's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, you know normal process on rifle, load till you see a pressure sign, back it down. I'm guessing you do it different in a lever action???

I've loaded before for the 45/70, and just pick a moderate load for shooting. This time I'm developing a load for hunting. 300g bullets. I'm in Kalifornia so have to use lead free, I bought a box of the barnes, at 20 bucks it's a buck a bullet. I want to work up with the 300's I have already, I think Remington's, and then test it with a barnes and make sure the pressure is still okay.

I'm developing for two Marlins, one is only a few years old, bought about three years ago. the other is one of the new series started in the 70's, the first year production with the douglas barrels.

How do I work up the load, and if I'm not trying to make them hot can I develop it using the newer of the two rifles and still use it in both.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
First of all don't exceed the load listed in your manual. If, when using a published load, the action becomes at all hard to open after firing back the load down a bit. I doubt looking at primers will help you at all in this endeavor.

As regards Barnes bullets, and I presume you're using the TSX version, I've found that loads worked up with copper jacketed lead bullets also work well with the TSX bullets. Barnes recommends that when using their bullets you go with a lighter bullet than you usually use I believe for accuracy's sake. You might consider using 300 gr. bullets.

I see no reason you couldn't use a load worked up in the newer rifle in the older one.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
If you should ever fire a load and see the lever open up a little.........might be too hot. I saw this on a buddy's rifle.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
First of all don't exceed the load listed in your manual. If, when using a published load, the action becomes at all hard to open after firing back the load down a bit. I doubt looking at primers will help you at all in this endeavor.

As regards Barnes bullets, and I presume you're using the TSX version, I've found that loads worked up with copper jacketed lead bullets also work well with the TSX bullets. Barnes recommends that when using their bullets you go with a lighter bullet than you usually use I believe for accuracy's sake. You might consider using 300 gr. bullets.

I see no reason you couldn't use a load worked up in the newer rifle in the older one.

Best advice. I load using Marlin data for my GG. I stay off the max loads & go for accuracy. So far, 300grJHP @ 1800fps is pretty easy on the rifle & me.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always load for accracy not max velocity. Fred care to share your load? I've got a couple powders out there, I think 3031 is supposed to be good for 45/70s.

Thanks chaps, as soon as Christmas rush calms down I'll get out there

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,

Hey Paisan!

I load for a Marlin 1895CB and for a Kodiak MkIV double rifle in .45/70. Be careful that you don't use data intended for the Ruger #1 or those Siamese Mausers. Data for the old Trapdoor Springfields or 1886 Winchesters can work in your Marlin. I use Reloder 7 and H322 with 405 and 425 grain bullets. With 460 and 525 grainers, I use H335 or Reloder 10X. The problem is that all those are either jacketed lead or hard cast lead bullets.

If I were going to use an "unleaded" bullet :-), I would look to the bullet manufacturer for data. Send an email to Barnes or call them. Tell them the make and model of your rifles and ask for data on the bullets you are interested in.

Some Marlin .45/70 barrels have the shallow "microgroove" rifling and others have the deeper "Ballard" rifling. You can get some info at http://armscollectors.com/sn/marlinlookup.php using the serial number of your rifle. There is also a forum called marlinowners at http://www.marlinowners.com. There is a .45/70 thread at this URL - http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...hp/board,56.180.html

Hope this helps you.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
I always load for accracy not max velocity. Fred care to share your load? I've got a couple powders out there, I think 3031 is supposed to be good for 45/70s.

Thanks chaps, as soon as Christmas rush calms down I'll get out there

Yep, 3031 is the powder I use for higher end loads for my Marlin GG. With a 300gr Rem JHP, 55gr & a Fed.LRP, I get 1775fps & sub 2" groups @ 100yds, which is pretty good for a stubby rifle w/ 2x EER scope. If I decide to hunt here, I'll have to workup a Barnes X load. Mad

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load a lot of 450Marlin and 45/70. Have had best luck w. IMR4198 and H322 both with the 300GR TSX.

300GR at the 1850fps mark was very accurate for me in both Marlin Guide guns and BLR 450Marlin.

Once I got to the 2k fps mark the groups opened up on all rifles. BLR was 1.25 5 shot but both the GG were more in the 2" range. Not to mention they hurt a lot!!!